Thread: !831 General Officer's and comparison with a well known fake

!831 General Officer's and comparison with a well known fake

Saw a recent post about an nice 1831 General Officer's sword and thought I would post something about one I picked up recently. For a bit of interest I thought I would compare it with a well known fake that used to be widely available on ebay. ( Might still be but can't get sword listings in the UK these days)

First my genuine 1831:Catalogue description:
    A good and scarce example. The blade is etchedwith Crowned VR Cypher, General Officer's device and floraldecoration. Also with the retailers details of “H.Poole & CoSavile Row London”. Gilt cross-guard with floral decoration andGeneral Officer's device to the centre. Two piece ivorine grip withtwo floral head gilt studs. Housed in original brass scabbard withtwo loose rings. Near VGC.

Stats:
    Weight, sword:1lb 10oz (0.73kg), with scabbard: 2lb 11 oz (1.22kg)
    Lengthoverall: 35.5'' (90cm) Blade:30''(76.5cm)
    POB: 4.25'' (11cm)
    Profiletaper: 1.04'' (26.4mm) at ricasso, 0.85'' (21.8mm)at mid blade, 0.84'' (21.4mm) 2 inches from tip.
    Distal taper 0.28'' (7.3mm) at ricasso, 0.15'' (3.8mm)at mid blade,. 0.24''(6.3mm) at termination of fuller, 0.08'' (2.1mm) 2 inches from tip.

Markings:

Nice clear etchings ofCrowned VR Cypher, crossed sword and baton and foliage. H.Poole &Co Savile Row London in shield near ricasso. (H. Poole & Co are still trading in Savile Row)
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    The journey not the destination

And now for the comparison with a fake 1831. I use the term fake rather than reproduction as this sword is clearly marked to Wilkinson Sword but was made in China. To be fair I think it had China marked on it but that bit of etching has been scrubbed over. There was a post about these swords here some time ago. http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...fficer-s-Sword

Description:
    General Officer's pattern sword. Detailed etchings, of fair quality, depicting Malaysian coat of arms with leaves, scrolls and panels. Gilt coloured cross piece also has a Malaysian device rather that the crossed sword and baton of a British General Officer's sword. It is fraudulently marked “BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY QUEEN ELIZABETH II SWORD CUTLERS WILKINSON SWORD” on the ricasso. Two piece plastic grip with two floral head gilt coloured studs. Housed in steel scabbard with two loose rings.

Stats:
    Weight, sword: 2lb 0oz (0.91kg), with scabbard: 3lb 4 oz (1.47kg)
    Lengthoverall: 37'' (94cm) Blade:31''(79cm)
    POB: 5.5'' (14cm)
    Profiletaper: 1.02'' (26.0mm) at ricasso, 0.96'' (24.5mm)at mid blade, 0.78'' (19.9mm) 2 inches from tip.
    Distal taper 0.24'' (6.2mm) at ricasso, 0.19'' (4.9mm)at mid blade,. 0.24''(6.3mm) at termination of fuller, 0.12'' (3.1mm) 2 inches from tip.

I don't know why the Chinese picked a Malaysian sword to copy as they would have had more takers with a British example. I do believe that Wilkinson Sword did produce some swords for the Malaysian Army.
    The first picture shows the two swords together with the fake below.

Comments about either sword welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    The journey not the destination

Guy,
    Interesting comparison. I always find that the etching/engraving on the fakes and copies is a dead giveaway as to their origin. When directly compared to the real thing it looks even more horrible.
    Cheers,
    Mike

The fake is a well known Malaysian diplomats mameluke; why the Chinese chose to fake that variant, I have no idea. Try cleaning the etching; it will come off!