Thread: Customized Gorin Iaito $500

Customized Gorin Iaito $500

Name:  DSCF5024.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  107.1 KB

I am selling a newly customized Paul Chen/Hanwei Gorin iaito (now discontinued)
    The stats on this sword from the manufacturer (with adjustments from customization noted in bold):
    Gorin Iaito, 29" Blade
    SPECIFICATIONS
    Overall: 40 3/4“
    Blade Length: 29“ (28 7/8") 2 shaku, 4 sun, 2 bu
    Handle Length: 10 3/4”
    Weight: 1lb 15oz (2 lb)
    Point of Balance: 4 1/2" (4")
    Width at Guard: 1.27"
    Width at Tip: .80"
    Thickness at Guard: .23"
    Thickness at Tip: .21"
    Sori: 3/4"

Customization:

I gave the already nicely shaped Gorin tsuka a little bit more of a refined rikko shape which included thinning it just a bit to the proper thickness. I lacquered the white samegawa panels with black cashew lacquer in a matte finish.
    Tsukamaki is in hineri-maki with hand-dyed nubuck ito in a rich green color.

I replaced the silver Musashi menuki with a set of highly detailed solid brass dragons.

I replaced the silver plated seppa with a brass pair. I gave them a "file mark" texture and I reshaped a plain brass seppa from a KC kat for a perfect fit (fuchi side) and hand-cut the coin edge decoration.
    Since I was going with a green/gold theme, I also changed out the silver habaki for a new hand decorated solid brass habaki. It was custom fitted and I cut a large and small groove in each side, then polished and textured the facets.

I replaced the Musashi style double ring tsuba with an iron KC tsuba to which I applied a deep dark patina. I felt this design went better with the style and color of the tsuka. It's simple and strong and has the two udenuki cut in the mune side.

When I received the sword, the horn kojiri looked like it went through a bit of trauma. There was a large gap between the piece and the end of the saya and it was a little bit too small around which made it look off. When I went to check it more closely, just touching it caused it to fall off in my hand. It was just glued flat on to the saya.
    I made a new properly sized kojiri out of a piece of horn slab and then fit it to the end using two wooden posts to secure it in place. I then gave it a couple of thick coats of Japanese cashew lacquer.

I added a Gold synthetic silk sageo imported from Japan (can be changed, see below)

At no extra charge, I will apply a coat of either clear lacquer (left) or Eco Flo Satin Sheen (right) to the ito if requested. Both will darken the color considerably but will add a little strength and durability.
    Name:  BSxbz6.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  98.7 KB

Please see more pictures of this iaito here
    Buyer can also choose from 4 sageo: gold chem fiber, black & white chem fiber, green & brown chem fiber, brown cotton (see pics in link)

I'm asking only $500 shipped anywhere in the US (international shipping available, pm me for quote)
    I accept paypal(I eat the fees) or money order.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Joshua Marlan; 09-26-2014 at 06:03 PM.

Bump
    Cottontail Customs on facebook

"Above all, we are coming to understand that the arts incarnate the creativity of a free people. When the creative impulse cannot flourish, when it cannot freely select its methods and objects, when it is deprived of spontaneity, then society severs the root of art." – J.F.K.

Withdrawn from sale
    Cottontail Customs on facebook

"Above all, we are coming to understand that the arts incarnate the creativity of a free people. When the creative impulse cannot flourish, when it cannot freely select its methods and objects, when it is deprived of spontaneity, then society severs the root of art." – J.F.K.