Thread: Bird head eagle head

Bird head eagle head

Well I guess I need a jump start on this by one of you swordmen. One in Medicus similar but not a match. Is it a true bird head or early eagle? Head seems to be made from 2 pieces. Eric
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

The blade is similar to a sword I have which appears to be continental, as opposed to a British spadroon. I don't find any similar bird in the Lattimer collection either. I would think last half of the 18th century but cutlered where, I just don't know.

Cheers

Hotspur; quite odd

The blade is wide at hilt similar to some RW blades I have seen but taper of hilt to back is extreme. Not sure on eagle odd casting mark and style it must be a bird. The quillion style and k guard could be a clue, perhaps french.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

I would welcome any thoughts or comments on this one. It is a beautiful sword. I am thinking late 18th maybe 1780 to 1800 but only on guard and blade style. Eric

Thanks for your comments Glenn at least I think now I am in the ballpark on time frame. The really early eagle heads are difficult to be sure they are for American market or even more so American made. I do not know that I think American made here or even market. Perhaps an example sword after turn of century when every cutler in the US was trying to get contracts. The blade is a tad crude as is the brass castings but a refined style. I am stumped, which is no suprise to me but the forum being stumped is.

Even though I can't remember it's equivalent off hand, your sword does look continental European.

Thanks for input Dmitry, can't seem to get much help with this one and it is beautiful piece. I don't know, Glenn don't know, you don't know, maybe nobody knows. Eric

photo test

Trying to figure out different ways to upload and paste photos.

Trying again 20140917_114929.jpg

Hello Eric,

your sword is German (Baden) second half of the 18th cent.

Nice!

Frank
    Non soli cedit!

Baden-Württemberg? I have looked in all the books I have here and internet and find nothing. Nothing similar from any German State. What am I missing? Do you have photos or link? Second half of 18th would be great for an eagle or bird head but I can find nothing. Eric

1788 pattern infantry Danish

I did find this so I'm getting warmer.

Similar to 1767 French infantry

Some stylized similarities to the 1767 French infantry (briquette) fuller, pommel nut but with straight blade. Close to Baden

It is not in any book but you can see the identical sword in the army museum in Rastatt, Germany (former duchy of Baden)
    Non soli cedit!