Thread: Peace Katana Saya

Peace Katana Saya

Hello everyone,
    I wanted to know if anyone in the forum who owns the Bugei Peace Katana is experiencing the same issues as i am with the Saya. I received the Peace Katana earlier this year and used it for training several times. Last month I noticed a chunk of the lacquer missing from the Saya. I am starting to see the lacquer having some cracks forming on the spine of the Saya as well. When I first received it I did notice a couple blemishes but never really thought anything of it until now. Is someone also experiencing this same issue? BTW the sword was never dropped, scrapped, or bumped against anything. I baby my swords more than my car .

Thank you,

I owned one and had similar issues with it, I called and spoke to them, they never really did anything about it. Mine was never even used and was only displayed in my dinning room....

are you seeing wood underneath or primer? could be due to moisture in the wood, or just a poor lacquer job, not allowing enough dry time in-between coats, or coats that are too heavy. i'd be pretty furious given the price tag....

For mine it was almost like bubbles or as if the lacquer was somehow still wet and slowly dripping if that makes sense. You could see ripples every where on it :/ They gave me a few excuses but then never did anything about it. They tried to blame it on me leaving it in the sun... The sword was displayed on the top of my dinning room hutch where there were no windows..... Now that I'm comfortable re mounting katana I'll never be purchasing directly from them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Salvatori Moretto View Post
    For mine it was almost like bubbles or as if the lacquer was somehow still wet and slowly dripping if that makes sense. You could see ripples every where on it :/ They gave me a few excuses but then never did anything about it. They tried to blame it on me leaving it in the sun... The sword was displayed on the top of my dinning room hutch where there were no windows..... Now that I'm comfortable re mounting katana I'll never be purchasing directly from them again.
    Sounds like they applied the lacquer too heavy. I've noticed a decline in the quality of Hanwei's laqcuer jobs, I have two at the moment that have ripples here and there and drip marks...

When I originally had the issue I contacted Bugei right away. Their rep. informed me that the owner and QC will take a look at the pictures I sent and will contact me. After waiting for a month I decided to contact a woodworker to see if he would able to fix the Saya. He informed me that the way the Saya was lacquered looked like it was dipped in a big lacquer basin because of the drip marks and bubbles that formed. Fortunately within 2 wks he was able to fix it. After this was done I contact Bugei to inform them that it was over a month since I contacted them and never received an answer from their QC or the owner, and also that I had the problem fixed. It was a very disappointing experience. Not only the price of their swords increase but the quality in both the service and their products is below average. So much for their quality control. The best thing I can suggest is to try and find a local woodworker and see if they would be able to redo the finish on the Saya.