Thread: Help identification

Help identification

Please, help me to to identify these Chinese qing sabers (type, age, etc.)

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Could you provide the better pics?

As above, better pics would be good. AFAICT from these pics:

The bare blade is a liuyedao (willow leaf sabre). I don't recall seeing one with two tang holes before. My guess is that it's been remounted with a shorter grip (unless the blade was shortened at the tang end at the same time), and the pommel covered the old hole. Much rust in the fuller, less on the blade - it's been repolished so hard to say much about age. Straight tang suggest early for a liuyedao, possibly about 1800.

The blade with guard and pommel is a yanmaodao (goose quill sabre). As such, one would expect it to be 18th century (or earlier). Has the tip been shortened and reground?

Provenance might give a much better idea of age, if available.
    "In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.

Thanks so much for your info!!!

The origin is an antiques market in Shanxi province. I cant provide better pics yet. Also cannot get more info since both the owner and the guy who took the photos have no idea about these pieces. Anycase, your response is more than enough. As for your question about the tip, I guess it is rare that a yanmaodao has such rounded tip, right?

Usually they have pointier tips, but I asked because the surface at the edge of the tip looks different to the rest of the blade.
    "In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.

More photos

More photos, not so good though.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

I like the bare blade. Looks like it would make for a nice-handling dao.

I like it too. But it seems difficult to restore, so pitty.

The bare blade appears be substantially better quality and potentially older.