Thread: WTB: wakizashi/ko-katana sized habaki.

WTB: wakizashi/ko-katana sized habaki.

I am shortening a katana and the difference in blade width is enough to render the old habaki useless.
    The new moto kasane (blade width) will be between 30,0mm and 30,1mm and the new moto haba will be 7,3mm.
    So I'm looking for a habaki that is made for a blade width of about 30,0mm to 30,5mm. Up to 31,0mm might still be usable too. Probably about a wakizashi or ko-/chisa- katana size.
    Most standard katana sized habaki are about 32 to 33mm so they are way to large.

I hope someone has a habaki that fits my needs.
    "I still use Internet explorer when I want to get rid of all those pesky programs and documents on my computer. " My Brother

Why not have one custom made for you blade? I make mine out of solid copper, no chance of it ever splitting.
    John W Smith
    Hitsuji Forge

Keepers of the past, one hammer swing at a time.

Thanks for thinking along, I have considered both ideas.

Having one custom made would probably cost more than the blade itself (Ronin Dojo Pro). I'm not willing to spend that kind of money on it.

Making one out of solid copper is also a good option. Certainly very strong. I know a source for it, so that won't be a problem if I decide to go that route. It does however take quite a lot of time so a pre made one requiring little to no fitting would save me a lot of time. That's why I decided to put up this add first and see what kind of response I would get.
    "I still use Internet explorer when I want to get rid of all those pesky programs and documents on my computer. " My Brother

Well if you do decide to go the route of custom made solid copper habaki let me know as it takes me about two weeks to make a nice perfect fit habaki.
    John W Smith
    Hitsuji Forge

Just check the three spare ones I have and they all seem to be small at about 27.5 or so, sorry :/

No problem, thanks for taking the time to check Salvatory.
    Thanks for your PM too by the way, it's much appreciated!

Thanks for the notice John, I will keep it in mind.

I decided the sword will be shortened a little more than previously planned, the new measurements that I need a new habaki for are as follows:

Moto kasane (blade width): 29,3 mm (1.1535 inches).
    Moto haba (blade thickness): 6,3 mm (0.2480 inches).

So a habaki with a top width of around 29,5 mm (1.1614 inches) up to 30,0 mm (1.1811 inches) would probably be best.

Still looking for a fitting habaki.

Blade dimensions:
    Moto kasane (blade width): 29,3 mm (1.1535 inches).
    Moto haba (blade thickness): 6,3 mm (0.2480 inches).

Still looking for one.
    It doesn't need to be an exact fit, I don't mind a bit of filing.

How hard can it be to find a habaki for a wakizashi?...

I'm still looking for one.

I am sure you are aware that if you get a habaki that is small and you have to file will cause weakness in the habaki, it would be better to have a custom fit habaki. Have you tried Fred Lohman he carries a large line of Habaki.
    John W Smith
    Hitsuji Forge

I am only talking about tenths of mm, if I would have to take off any more than that I would buy the habaki in the first place.
    I know Lohman's website, he does great work, but ordering form him would cost me twice as much as I paid for the blade itself.