Thread: m1832 General and Staff Officers sword

m1832 General and Staff Officers sword

M1832 General and Staff Officers sword, one of my grab bag of swords. Missing counter guard but in mediocre shape. For a bottom feeder like me its a real prize other than finding a counter guard could take a life time. Truly a beautiful and well balanced sword which is in contrast to the m1833 dragoon or m1832 artillery. The first a beautiful but clumsy woman the second attractive but useless and a tad chunky. No date on ricasso as some have. Any way to date? 1832 to 1872 is a long time with most before 1850. I think this even beats the early Ames eagle heads for grace and Ames eagles are some good looking girls. Can someone date it for me? Is the grip original? Why is refered to as the m1832/m1834 General & Staff officers some times? Eric
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Cut down m1832/1834 Ames General and Staff

M1832/1834 General and Staff Here is another one I picked up with cut down counter guard and quillon. Both have glit which would indicate not a field alteration. Silver grip cover had heavy tarnish and had turned totally black. Most of blade etching wore off, blade in fair shape but had heavy staining with no pitting or rust. Indicating repeated cleaning. I am somewhat limited on these but find the cut down guard and repeated cleaning of blade very interesting. It would seem to indicate it was wore in field a lot, hence the need to protect your hip and blade. Eric
    Last edited by Eric Fairbanks; 05-13-2015 at 09:35 AM. Reason: forgot photos
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Widmann? 1832/1834 General and Staff (before)

Widmann? 1832/1834 General and Staff (before)
    Total 35 1/2
    Blade 29 5/8
    Width 3/4
    Thick 3/16
    Fuller 14 1/8
    Generally smaller than the Ames model in blade and hilt
    Weyersburg blade Crowned king facing right
    Before

Yes, the Widmanns had wire grips. The Ames swords can be somewht dated by the pommels and blade etches. There is another thread here somewhere tha had mention of the Ames pommel morphology. The Hamilton title on Ames discusses them as well.

Cheers

Hotspur; sound Widmann examples have reached a premium price
    $2,390.00
    http://historical.ha.com/itm/militar...a/6055-52181.s

ps

Here is the British 1796 heavy cavlry dress sword, a nod to the pallasches of a century before.
    http://swordscollection.blogspot.com...cer-dress.html
    Last edited by Glen C.; 05-19-2015 at 07:14 PM.

Widmann? 1832/1834 General and Staff (after)

I would think the sows ear and silk purse apply here. I reused existing wire broken in a few places and connected them for grip wrap. Lots of damage to blade heavy staining and some rust, missing forward grip feral, replaced. Heavy staining and glit loss to most of hilt. Missing scabbard throat. Sorry on photos but been raining for three weeks here, dark and cloudy.

I like these more than the kidney shaped guards and find these boat hilts quite attractive. Thanks for sharing.

I did not know if Horstmann also made these. I read somewhere 4 different makers made them but cannot remember where and have only seen Ames and Widmann models. Blade and sword smaller than Ames model. Widmann as maker would date sword to pre 1848. I read one of the other threads on here and understand from it the drag is unique to Widman. Ebay prize it will look nice next to my Ames. Thanks interesting links, but cannot bring myself to sell a sword, I want to sell some that don't fit but I just can't. Thanks again Eric

Weyersburg blade

Weyersburg mark on tang.

Two repaird M1832/34 one missing boat guard one grip repair

The 32/34 sword missing the boat guard and the junk sword I bought to replace guard. After I started cleaning it up I just could not butcher the old girl so I ordered some silver foil, 6 tubes of elbow grease and some 0000 steel wool. Then what to do with the fair to nice example missing the boat guard, a little polymer resign did the trick with some various gold applications. Thanks for your help Richard , I still need a boat guard as I don't think the plastic will survive a blow, but at least it looks presentable on the wall. Eric

Good stuff Eric.