Thread: For Sale george iv cavalry offices sword. circa 1822- 1860 (been told)

For Sale george iv cavalry offices sword. circa 1822- 1860 (been told)

Hi, I have a king George iv cavalry sword, in reasonable condition i.e.. untouched condition, it been in my roof for 30 years and now its time to go. The scabbard also bears the George iv symbol with plenty of brass ware although it is broken in two places but has no bits missing. I have included some photographs but have more if you require them. The sword would clean very well. etched with L comp 3 , Burlington and appear to have name -oogle its all faint but there. There is a folding part on the hand shield that works well. The handle is complete and is believed to be fish skin. I hope I've described it accurately as I am not a collector of this stuff. please feel free to ask any questions or request more information or arrange a viewing.

Looking for 300 pounds. collection only or pre-arranged courier buyer must be at least 21 years old. This is not a toy
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by david forrest; 02-01-2015 at 01:06 PM.

Is this for sale?
    How much are you after?
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    yes, please observe the forum rules! Price must be stated!
    mark@swordforum.com

~ Hostem Hastarum Cuspidibus Salutemus ~

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who don't."
    Benjamin Franklin

sorry about that Looking for 300 pounds or close offer

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Cross View Post
    Is this for sale?
    How much are you after?
    Thanks

I was looking for 300 pounds, sorry didn't mean to break forum rules new to forums. not sure how you contact me within the rules, please advise. regards david

sorry mark I was unaware that I had not put a price, please forgive I'm new to forums.

Hi David i'm not a massive expert myself so if anyone thinks i'm wrong please correct me. It looks more like a 1822 British infantry sword. George IV reined till 1830 so that means the sword was made between 1822-1830.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sully View Post
    Hi David i'm not a massive expert myself so if anyone thinks i'm wrong please correct me. It looks more like a 1822 British infantry sword. George IV reined till 1830 so that means the sword was made between 1822-1830.

Cheers
    Thank you for that, know very little about this sort of thing, auctioneer told me what I described, he did say he wasn't 100% sure. does this have any implication on a value.

Hello David, If you're looking to sell it 'collection only' it would be advisable to give some indication of locality, followers of this forum are spread all over the globe.
    It's actually, William IV Infantry Officer.
    Mel.
    Last edited by Mel H; 02-02-2015 at 01:27 PM.

Name:  P1010113.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  96.9 KBName:  P1010113.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  96.9 KB

To my eyes it looks more like the cypher on the left which is George. Are you certain?

Enlarge the scabbard frog stud photo, it has the cypher, looks like W

I did enlarge it and i must confess its either my eyes or my computer i can't see anything. I'll have to bow to your superior eyesight! I'm still pretty sure thats a GR not a WR on the actual sword guard.

Rob here is a larger photo, difficult to distinguish, of course I used the frog stud not this cyhpher in the guard

frog stud

Name:  IMAG0585.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  98.9 KBName:  IMAG0582.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  90.5 KBLocation in Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire uk, I will take new photo's of both badges and post
    Last edited by david forrest; 02-02-2015 at 03:49 PM.

The frog stud almost looks more like a VR now the pic is clearer. Possibly a mismatched sword and scabbard or a later replacement?Name:  sword1897_a3.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  18.8 KBName:  e8b19a8f7049de74f53eebc647512fe5.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  12.9 KB

George iv sword

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sully View Post
    The frog stud almost looks more like a VR now the pic is clearer. Possibly a mismatched sword and scabbard or a later replacement?Name:  sword1897_a3.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  18.8 KBName:  e8b19a8f7049de74f53eebc647512fe5.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  12.9 KB
    I assume this would affect its worth, could you give me an idea of its value

Hi there, sack cloth and ashes time, I've had a look at the enlarged photo's and have to agree that I was wrong, not the first time, must pay more attention (that's what my teachers always said).
    Mel.

To the sword it does not matter which monarch, they were one after the other and short reigns. Not sure what the small holes in the cypher are for

George iv sword

Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    To the sword it does not matter which monarch, they were one after the other and short reigns. Not sure what the small holes in the cypher are for
    I have checked the 'holes ' they are part of the casting, actually in matching places other full of grime, haven't cleaned it in case I damage it.

a nylon brush and diluted ammonia works well. Best leave it as is and let new owner decide what he wants

I believe the officers handled their swords after eating, just to hold them from dragging. The grease etc. accumulates on the hilt.