Thread: Choken

Choken

Sometime in the near future (vague as I am not sure exactly when) I may need to acquire a choken.

Pending instruction I estimate a sword near 3.5 shaku in length and able to survive batto?

I am just starting to learn and would appreciate any insight into makers/vendors etc. My sensei may have a recommendation when the time comes but I am reaching out now to being to build my knowledge base.

Currently I have a Yamato Budogu Bishmonten Mogito but this is in the standard 2.5 Shaku length. I love it but have no idea regarding production of something so much larger.

I appreciate the kindness of any thoughts you might have to share.

Thanks,

Might need to go custom - there's a lack of good production swords of this size. In times past, there was the Hanwei Odachi (about 4 shaku), and the Kensei odachi (a little over 3 shaku), but those aren't in production any more. There are still makers doing stuff a little under 3 shaku (Cheness, Dynasty Forge, Cold Steel). The Cold Steel o-katana is about 2.9 shaku.

You might be able to find stuff about 3.5 in length from various Chinese forges via ebay, but whether they will survive batto is another story.
    "In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.

Thank you for the insights. Much appreciated.

As an FYI for anybody following this thread, I just received an advert from Tozando stating that they now sell Minosaka Custom Koshirae up to 3 shaku in length. The price is about 2,200 US. I am not sure if this will work for me but wanted to let people know that options are growing.