Thread: Is my Kukri a authentic or fake?

Is my Kukri a authentic or fake?

Hi everyone.
    To start off, I should say I have absolutely no knowledge of antique weapons. Fake or not. So if I ask some stupid questions, please be patient with me

I own what I found out should be a Kukri knife. I inherited it from my father, but never got to ask him about it.

I simply wonder if any of you guys know if my knife is authentic or not. The thing that gets me most suspicious is the fact that I can't find any special markings or numbers anywhere. But then again, I'm way out of my league here...

So, I'l post some of my pics and hope for some help. If you need to know more just ask me!

Name:  DSC_0376.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  98.2 KB Name:  DSC_0377.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  98.2 KB Name:  DSC_0378.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  100.6 KB
    Name:  DSC_0381.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  95.8 KB Name:  DSC_0382.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  95.2 KB Name:  DSC_0383.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  98.2 KB

Hi John and welcome to the highly addictive world of the kukri.
    Firstly can I just address the issue of the word "fake"? The word fake implies that something is made to deceive the buyer. So no your kukri is not a fake in those terms.
    Is it a military issue kukri? Well I'm sorry to say that in my opinion it is not. What I think you have here is what I would describe as a tourist piece made after the " British Service Issue " kukri or BSI for short. The BSI or MkV has been in service with little change from about the late 50's I think.
    There is a massive market for tourist or souvenir kukris and the quality varies enormously, from hang it on the wall to not bad user's. Obviously recent events will have stopped this for a while.
    What you do have though is a family connection. Enjoy it for those memories.
    I hope this helps and delve into the back catalogue of threads here there is a wealth of knowledge and some cracking kukris.

Kind regards and thoughts go out to Nepal at this most difficult of times. If it's not out of order I would like to take this time to ask all here to go to dec.org.uk and give generously. If not allowed would mods please edit.

David.
    PARTING THE CLOUDS SEEKING THE WAY
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions not their own facts.

Thanks for clearing that up for me! So it's not an "authentic" military kukri, but a tourist kukri. I'm not exactly an eager collector, so no problem.
    Selling it wouldn't be an issue anyways, but nice to know what it is at least.

Thanks for your help!

And of course nice of you encourage us to support the people of Nepal. May many more be saved from the ruins in the days to come ..

Quote Originally Posted by John A R View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up for me! So it's not an "authentic" military kukri, but a tourist kukri. I'm not exactly an eager collector, so no problem.
    Selling it wouldn't be an issue anyways, but nice to know what it is at least.

Thanks for your help!

And of course nice of you encourage us to support the people of Nepal. May many more be saved from the ruins in the days to come ..
    No worries.
    I am a bit passionate about Nepal and the Nepalese. They will need support for many years to come to get back on their feet. I saw that the biggest orphanage came down too.
    I echoe your hopes about further survivors.

David.
    PARTING THE CLOUDS SEEKING THE WAY
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions not their own facts.