Thread: Could I have some help with a sword please

Could I have some help with a sword please

Good evening everyone, yesterday I purchased my first antique sword and was wondering if anybody could provide me with some information about it. The man I brought it off told me it was a English Infantry sword and said it was about 1820's give or take a few years. It has I believe a napoleonic era handle similar to those found upon the 1796 cavalry sabres, however the handle is not ornate enough to be an officers sword I think and the blade is only 27 and a half inches long which I presume would be too short too be an officers sword, could it possibly be a NCO's or an ensigns sword. There are no markings on the sword either and I was wondering what this would mean as I beloved most swords were marked by a maker or if issued for military service. What would dents and chinks in the blade represent could it possibly be evidence of combat. Many thanks in advance and feel free to correct me of anything I said, I probably made an error somewhere. Kind regards W. Morgan
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Does not look like any British pattern sword that I know of. The guard looks a bit reminiscent of constabulary swords of the mid to late 19th century but the back-strap is wrong. The blade is also too long and slim for the police swords. I'm, afraid I'm not being much help here just telling you what it isn't without giving any pointers to what it is. Size and general appearance suggest an artillery sword but no idea what country. Hopefully someone else can chime in with a positive id.
    The journey not the destination

W. I'm with Guy in that my first thought was a constabulary sword. It looks like a military sword so it is strange there are no markings. Some member who has one will probably weigh in and tell you exactly what it is. Dents and chinks in the blade could be evidence of desperate combat but they could be evidence of children playing with grandfather's sword in the back yard years ago before the PC police!
    "Ancora imparo - Michelangelo Buonarotti"

Looks a bit like a Bavarian artillery sword, but I don't think the grip is right for that pattern. Maybe a police sword for the same state?

Thanks for all the info guys your responses have been really interesting and I appreciate everything you've said. I forgot to mention in the post that it is a pipe back sword and was wondering if it would make any difference to the origin of the sword?