Thread: Grenadier Sword ID? Dutch? Scandic?

Grenadier Sword ID? Dutch? Scandic?

I saw this one over the last week or so, listed as American Civil War. One bid took it, I considered it but maintained my no buy status.

I have seen a few swords with this type of hilt listed as Dutch but truly, beyond my scope of knowledge. Certainly I have seen cast brass hilts that are similar across Europe. While the style mat well be of a later pattern, copper wire and the blade decoration seem a good bit earlier than 1800.

Curious minds and all that. A very pretty sword, so certainly archived in picture files. Maybe it will surface again. Nice looking piece.

Thoughts on time line and country more than welcome.

Cheers

Hotspur; there had been a dandy "Peking" hilt cuttoe pass through this last weekend
    Attached Images Attached Images               
    Last edited by Glen C.; 05-11-2015 at 09:58 AM.

Hi Glen,
    Twas me that purchased this sword and it delivered today. Like you, I found it interesting and after having examined it now in person, I'm still unsure of it's origin. Appears to have never been apart. Guard shows traces of original silver finish around a red cloth blade washer and there are trace amounts in other places. Guard is not screwed or bradded to the pommel / backstrap as the Dutch swords normally do. Blade is unmarked except for the Turk's head, sun and moon faces. Tall capstan tang, blade and copper wire wrap would seem to indicate a pre 1800 sword. Closest match I have found is in Neumann's "Swords and Blades of the American Revolution" 351.S, page 178. Would greatly appreciate anyone's thoughts regarding this sword. Thanks, Dave

Hi Dave

I am super glad it landed in an extended family so we can better understand it. I am surprised to read it was previously silver wash.

Certainly a neat piece.

Cheers

Hotspur; Swedish museum links I used to be access are not being co-operative and the Danish examples not what I expected

Good Morning Glen,
    Thanks for the reply. I'm presently traveling but will return on Wednesday. Please let me know of any particular photos I can provide that might help with an identification. Take Care, Dave

Hi Dave

I am afraid I have found nothing new on this and posted the auction photos for posterity and exposure that might nudge someone knowing what it is. Unfamiliar in a distinct fashion, I empathize on the "lust" factor. My mother, of all people, quoted an Oscar Wilde line about submitting to temptation. I sat on my hands.

Cheers

Hotspur; enjoy this acquisition and let me know if you ever decide to disown it

Hi Glen,
    I believe the original quote was: "I can resist anything except temptation." I'm pretty sure, though, that he wasn't referring to swords.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by George Roberts View Post
    Hi Glen,
    I believe the original quote was: "I can resist anything except temptation." I'm pretty sure, though, that he wasn't referring to swords.
    George
    It was a similar quote . My mind is a bit like a sieve, so I remembered it only in passing a couple of weeks ago.
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it." Dorian Gray?