Thread: HELP! WW1 George V highland officers basket hilt...without a basket!

HELP! WW1 George V highland officers basket hilt...without a basket!

Hey gurus,
    I'm hoping you can help me out with some advice on how to best restore my wife's grandfather's sword.

He served an officer in the Gordon Highlanders in both WW1 and WW2 and believe that what we have is a George V pattern blade. We have the blade, the pommel and a brown leather scabbard with steel fittings.

I understand that the basket hilt on this model was regularly interchanged with a smaller dress hilt but sadly we have neither.

I have discussed mounting the blade and scabbard in a frame, however the family is keen to try and replace the hilt. I have contacted several auction houses and manufacturers and none have been able to source a hilt for us.

What would you recommend?

Should we make the most of what we have or seek to canabalise another weapon for a replacement hilt?

HELP!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  99.2 KB

European military swords is not my field, but I'd like to offer a solution which I used once or twice myself. There are many wallhangers in the market with useless blades yet decent furniture. You might consider buying such a sword for cheap to cannibalize the basket hilt.

With a little search, I found this:

http://www.kultofathena.com/product....h+Basket+Sword

The basket is not top notch but for 50 bucks it looks decent enough. The page says the pommel is threaded so it is replacable. You might want to give it a try until you find a better and more historically accurate one.
    Last edited by Sancar Ozer; 05-14-2015 at 03:00 AM.
    "The relationship between West(Occident) and East(Orient) is indeed an example of a relationship of power and domination. Orientalism is thus a style of thought based upon an ontological and epistemological distinction made between the Orient and the Occident. It is a Western style of dominating, restructuring and building hegemony over the Orient.İt is an accepted grid for filtering through the Orient into Western consciousness, into the general culture."
    From "Orientalism" by Edward Said

Given that the sword is in a field service scabbard, you could add a cruciform crossguard, a ferrule and a grip (which I imagine are available from Pooleys) and it would be essentially correct as he would have worn it in the field. The result would be similar to the hilt shown below, but with the crossguard for the Gordons, indicated as type D on the diagram.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Mark Cain; 05-14-2015 at 08:51 AM.

I bet if you contacted someone like Paul McDonald... he would be able to help you with that problem, he does lots of restaurations. http://www.macdonaldarms.com/armoury/
    "Please look in the encyclopedia and make a brief memorandum for me concerning the life of Correggio."
    Elbert Hubbard

Nakamura Ryu Batto Do, Order of Seven Hearts

Another option would be to see if you could get new parts from Pooley... http://pooleysword.com/en/Highland_Broadsword
    "Please look in the encyclopedia and make a brief memorandum for me concerning the life of Correggio."
    Elbert Hubbard

Has anyone really had any luck with Pooley's? They and every single retailer I've found say they do not sell individual parts ; something I don't understand, surely there is a market for spare parts?

Their site says the do restauration work... I would assume they mean send them the sword and they will do the work...
    Elbert Hubbard

When speaking to dealers or Indian reproductions, their excuse not to sell parts, but complete swords, is that high import duties make it impractical. While this can be true for a single order, when ordering regularly they could easily ask for the most demanded parts (scabbards, for instance, which are sometimes quite decent) along with the complete swords, to share costs.

Why worry about some eccentric collectors when there are so many ordinary folks to sell them complete repros, they must think...
    SI, SI
    NO, NON

Great advice guys - thanks so much!
    Juan, I also was surprised how difficult it is to buy parts.
    I will follow up with Paul McDonald and Pooley's and if I'm still stuck, I'll plunder a repro. I see the "Discriminating General" has a nice Elizabeth II basket hilt at a reasonable price that may be adapted and antiqued.
    Thanks again!