Thread: Quiz of the week..

Quiz of the week..

Two new favorite swords.

Both eagles are similar to Thurkle. The silver hilt is dated 1778 be London silver proofs.

The second is a wicked quality piece that appears to be Francis Thurkle head, but no FT proofs. The crosshatched grip with reverse twisted wire is awesome. Appears to be more inline with a cutlass, but who knows. This sword feels better in the hand than any I have had the privilege to hold.

Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Well, an FT "proof" would imply a silver hallmark, whilst some others were a simpler FT stamp and (imo) some not at all. My large sabre is not marked at all. Is your hilt gilt on Britannia? The scabbard might be brittannium as well (mostly tin).

What are the dimensions of the pommel itself?

What we have for reference are mostly going to be the Hartzler and Mowbray titles.

Cheers

Hotspur; A pretty pair you have there.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen C. View Post
    Well, an FT "proof" would imply a silver hallmark, whilst some others were a simpler FT stamp and (imo) some not at all. My large sabre is not marked at all. Is your hilt gilt on Britannia? The scabbard might be brittannium as well (mostly tin).

What are the dimensions of the pommel itself?

What we have for reference are mostly going to be the Hartzler and Mowbray titles.

Cheers

Hotspur; A pretty pair you have there.
    Glen,

The The larger head is gilded brass approx 2 inches from beak tip to rear. The silver hilt, a third smaller.

The scabbard is magnetic, and in all probability leather over the Britannia that you suggest.

Hope all is going well!

Best,
    Simon

edit

my own ignorance
    Last edited by Glen C.; 05-19-2015 at 06:22 AM.