Thread: Please help identify this sword

Please help identify this sword

All opinions welcome.

Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images     

I can see why you posted this in the CSEA subforum. My guess would be 20th century, possibly Philippines. Have seen 20th century SE Asian cutlasses of vaguely similar appearance. Scabbard and the one-faced grind on the blade point me to the Philippines. But with a symmetric grind and no scabbard, I might have guessed Indonesia/Malaysia, or a garage workshop in the USA. If it was older, I'd consider Chinese.

Somewhat of a mystery. In any case, it's cute.
    "In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.

Quote Originally Posted by Timo Nieminen View Post
    I can see why you posted this in the CSEA subforum. My guess would be 20th century, possibly Philippines. Have seen 20th century SE Asian cutlasses of vaguely similar appearance. Scabbard and the one-faced grind on the blade point me to the Philippines. But with a symmetric grind and no scabbard, I might have guessed Indonesia/Malaysia, or a garage workshop in the USA. If it was older, I'd consider Chinese.

Somewhat of a mystery. In any case, it's cute.
    It looks influenced by Spanish colonial designs, with some Chinese flavor. The Philippines being a good bet.