Thread: New to the forum!

New to the forum!

Hello all!

I am newbie to the forum. Thanks for having me!

I have a few mogito that I purchased in Asakusa about 3-4 years ago...not the greatest quality from what Ive seen. While browsing the interwebs, I came across Shinobiya. Thanks to my fiance for being able to translate the site, I found the luxury iaido katanas.

Just wondering, in your experiences, if any of you have dealt with this company, and if the quality of these iaido are better than the "imitation" katanas that i already have? Im not using it for anything other than a wall hanger...but i want something that is nice. Price range for the particular katana is about $600.

Thanks again for welcoming me!

Jeremy~

I do not have information to offer but welcome to the forum! As you can see, this place is pretty slow lately. Eventually, someone will help you out.

Hi Jeremy, and welcome to SFI. Can you please provide a link to the store / item you're considering?
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

An iaido sword can refer to either an iaito (blunted training sword) or a shinken (live blade) intended for iaido use, I'm not sure which of these you're looking at.

I'm not familiar with the brand, so I can't offer any specific advice on the swords you're looking at.

I'm sure you're already aware, but a mogito is an imitation sword, while an iaito is a blunted practice sword used for iaido. So in a sense they're both imitation swords, but an iaito will often be mounted to a much higher standard. If what you're looking at is in fact an iaito then you should be able to pick one up from a well reputed Japanese brand for around that price (Minosaka and Tokujo come to mind).

An iaito will have an aluminium/ zinc alloy blade and the hamon (if present) will be entirely cosmetic. If you're wanting a koshirae to display then an iaito can be a good choice, it's very low maintenance compared to a live blade and it's much safer; you'll also generally get a higher quality mount at the same price point. Additionally, you've got a suitable training blade if you ever did decide to join an iaido club.

On the other hand, an iaito is not a real katana, and if a real sword is what you'd like you could pick up a decent Chinese made shinken for that price.

At $600 you will not get a shinken from Japan, that's for sure..
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!