Thread: Tanto Customization

Tanto Customization

Hello Everyone,

I was recently commissioned to customize a tanto, and I wish to share some of my experience in here.

Started with a sharpened high-carbon steel blade with decorative hamon, a finished saya and plain tsuka woods, this project aimed to build a tanto with brass mountings that were made by myself.

Name:  01.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  94.2 KB Name:  02.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  96.7 KB Name:  03.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  96.3 KB Name:  04.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  100.2 KB

After I had all measurements of each component, I began to do little adjustment on the tsuka woods, so that the tang would sit inside perfectly well. The mekugi-ana position was decided after pasting same on both sides of the tsuka.

While the blade and tsuka woods were sent into a milling machine for mekugi-ana drilling and mei engraving, I focused on the construction of brass mountings.

Name:  05.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  99.2 KB Name:  06.jpg
Size:  90.5 KB Name:  07.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  96.8 KB Name:  08.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  99.1 KB

The kashira was shaped by punching a piece of brass through an oval hole. The fuchi, on the other hand, was a result of having two brass strips soldered. As a theme design, I applied lining texture on both the surfaces of kashira and fuchi.

Name:  09.jpg
Size:  96.3 KB Name:  10.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  86.5 KB Name:  11.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  93.0 KB Name:  12.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  97.7 KB

Considering the tanto was bought as a gift for someone’s wedding anniversary, I made a pair of menuki featuring the yorokobu design (a Chinese/Japanese word rendered as “happiness”). All the brass mountings were waxed, but did not go through the traditional patina process, because I intended to keep their gold-like appearance of brass.

Name:  13.jpg
Size:  94.1 KB Name:  14.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  96.2 KB Name:  15.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  95.7 KB Name:  16.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  92.3 KB

The only difficulty to me, as a metal smith, was the tsuka-maki process. It really took a lot of works to make the wrapping tight and constant. I give my greatest respect to all tsuka-shi!

Name:  17.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  92.3 KB Name:  18.jpg
Size:  98.7 KB Name:  19.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  100.9 KB

So, this is it, the customized tanto is on the way to its new home.

Name:  20.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  101.9 KB Name:  21.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  99.1 KB

This is my very first post in SFI. Hope you like my sharing!
    Last edited by Oliver Tong; 06-06-2015 at 06:02 PM.
    一は全 全は一

Wow, you even made the menuki yourself, that's impressive amount of work. Nicely done, and welcome to SFI!
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!