Thread: Looking to acquire kukri - help on markings?

Looking to acquire kukri - help on markings?

Hi fellow kukri afficionados - and thanks to SFI mods for taking me in

I am looking to acquire a kukri that seems like a genuine Mk2 (see attachments) - however, I am a bit unsure about the markings. I would have expected that the markings were on the left side of the blade and likely there should be some kind of indication of being a MkII. - but perhaps this is just another variant of how markings appear?

Also the scabbard has a different year to it.

Not expecting anyone to warrant authenticity - ultimately it is on me if I acquire it. But as I am new in the field I am looking for some insight

Thank you in advance for any thoughts and comments!

Regards,

Thomas
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Thomas J; 05-05-2015 at 01:44 AM.

Hello Thomas.
    I am sorry to say I'm not too hot on Mkll and their markings.
    The kukri itself looks good and early but like I say I'm not expert. There was a disreputable dealer adding WWl era date stamps to otherwise good kukris. I am not saying that this is the case. I have emailed a fellow kukaholic to see if he knows.

All the best
    David
    PARTING THE CLOUDS SEEKING THE WAY
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions not their own facts.

Hi Thomas, David,

I Just replied to your email then David asked me about it so will post here as well!

Its a nice good condition genuine piece marked in the way that was typical for Cossipore 1915 mk.2 kukri. The 1916 pieces Ive seen & all later ones were marked on the opposite side.

Its kaudi is very like the 1915 mk.1s from the same arsenal.

Spiral

David, Jonathan,

thank you very much for your responses both here and by e-mail. Hopefully I'll be succesful in my endeavour to acquire this piece Will know in a couple of days.

Cheers,

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas J View Post
    David, Jonathan,

thank you very much for your responses both here and by e-mail. Hopefully I'll be succesful in my endeavour to acquire this piece Will know in a couple of days.

Cheers,

Thomas
    No worries and good luck Thomas.

Well, I ended up winning

This was actually an auction for two kukri - perhaps someone would like to take a guess about the heritage of the second one (horn handle and black scabbard)?

Cheers,

Thomas

Name:  kukri1.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  97.4 KB
    Name:  kukri3.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  98.8 KB
    Name:  kukri4.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  97.6 KB
    Last edited by Thomas J; 05-07-2015 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Changed bone handle to horn handle

Looks Indian, post-war. Also looks like horn, not bone.
    "In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.

Timo,

thanks! Edited the post to reflect your comment about horn and not bone

Well done.
    And a bonus kukri as well. The second one looks like a WWll private purchased Mkll to me. It looks in pretty good shape.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by David Holloway View Post
    Well done.
    And a bonus kukri as well. The second one looks like a WWll private purchased Mkll to me. It looks in pretty good shape.

David.
    Thanks! I'll see if I can't get some better pictures posted once I receive both of them. I'm pretty content with this acquisition as there are not that many "old" kukri up for sale where I live.

Now I'll go see if there are some threads here on gently cleaning up blades and handles

Cheers,

Thomas

I will look forward to seeing pictures.
    From your photographs it would appear that both blades are in excellent condition and require nothing more than a preventive wipe over. As for handles, the wood one looks fine, the horn one might benefit from a wipe down with some vegetable oil. I find it stops them drying out.
    Both scabbards look great too. I'm sure you know that you can't replace the patina of age.

David.

Edit: Whereabouts are you?
    Because you've found two great old kukri so it can't be that bad.

I will look forward to seeing pictures.
    From your photographs it would appear that both blades are in excellent condition and require nothing more than a preventive wipe over. As for handles, the wood one looks fine, the horn one might benefit from a wipe down with some vegetable oil. I find it stops them drying out.
    Both scabbards look great too. I'm sure you know that you can't replace the patina of age.
    I have no intention of trying to remove signs of age - my only aim is to stop any drying out of handles, scabbard leather and halt corrosion of metal (though there seems to be no corrosion issues )

Edit: Whereabouts are you?
    Because you've found two great old kukri so it can't be that bad.
    I am in Denmark which is not exactly ripe with vintage military kukri I get to go to the UK on occasion (work related, mainly Guildford and London), so if there are any suggestions to places I should seek out during spare time, feel free to suggest through PM )

Cheers,

Thomas

So, while waiting to receive the kukris above, I am scouting for other stuff and happened upon an online auction where what seems to be a MkIII is part of a batch. I'm having second thoughts as I can't recognize the markings and haven't seen that many different markings to make an educated guess.

It goes down tonight, so if someone can comment on the markings before 19.00 UK time, it would be great

Name:  2015-05-21 11_46_48-1.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  95.3 KB
    Name:  2015-05-21 11_46_48-2.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  79.7 KB

Looks like an Indian reproduction of the Mklll.

David

Thanks!

I ended up passing on it. I could have acquired the lot in the picture for ~GBP150 including auction fees, as it turned out no one was bidding. But I have come to realize that I need to be a little selective or I'll end up with kukris wall to wall

Something like this then

Yeah, something like that

Impressive - very impressive.

Looks like a good start to your collection Thomas, the 1915 Cossipore marked Mk2 kukri looks genuine, the one with the horn slabs isn't issue and most likely a WW2 era kukri bought either as a souvenir or to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas J View Post
    David, Jonathan,

Cheers,

Thomas
    Glad to have helped Thomas!

Congratulations & Enjoy!

Jai Kukri!