Thread: Possible Middle Eastern Antique - Four Sided Dagger - Crescent Moon Pommel - Opinion?

Possible Middle Eastern Antique - Four Sided Dagger - Crescent Moon Pommel - Opinion?

I came across this piece, and I'm not sure what to make of it. I have looked around online, but the closest thing I have found is four sided bayonets from WW1. Any opinions on this piece? The pommel screws off but there was no writing or anything underneath the handle. Nothing on the scabbard either. Thanks for looking!

Looks like a modified cruciform bayonet. I don't recall seeing a scabbard for one with a suspension ring (AFAIK, a frog was usual), so maybe the scabbard has been modified too.

Don't see anything Middle Eastern about it. European or American, almost certainly.
    "In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.

Thank you

Blog Entries
    Yep.... A French 1886/93/1916 Lebel blade & scabbard, married to misc. generic hardware.
    mark@swordforum.com

~ Hostem Hastarum Cuspidibus Salutemus ~

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who don't."
    Benjamin Franklin

Thanks Mark