Thread: Book review: ARTS DE COMBAT

Book review: ARTS DE COMBAT

Here is a short review of a book I received a few months ago. Fabrice cognot of De Taille et d`Estoc collected articles from different researchers, all connected to the HEMAC event in Dijon, and published them in a book. ARTS DE COMBAT is not well known thoughout the historical fencing community but a very valuable resource. While it is a french publication some of the articles are written in English.

The book contains the following articles:

-Bienheureux Roi qui seul une si grande oevre a lu by Lionel Lauvernay

-The Cort Bewijs of Pieter Bailly. A Dutch Rapier Manual. by Matt Galas and Eli Steenput

-The Montante of Dom Diogo Gomes de Figueiredo by Steve Hick, Eric Myers and Manuel Valle

-Decision Points in Fiore die Liberi`s Dagger Techniques by Colin Richards

-Seul contre tous: le combat à plus de deux adversaires, une lacune des livres de combat? by Michael Huber

-Harnischfechten, une approche du duel en armure à pied d`après les traités de combat: élaboration d`une logique de combat by Daniel Jaquet and Thomas Schmutziger

-Statutes of the Fencing Masters of Bruges (1456) by Matt Galas and Eli Steenput

-L`escrime au baton et à la canne en France du XVI au XIX siècle by Olivier Dupuis

-Annexe Josephe Charlemont by Jean-Louis Olivier

As I do not speak french I cannot comment on the french articles. But the English ones are all excellent. The color reproduction and translation of Pieter Bailly`s manual allone would be worth the price of the whole book (20 EUR). Steve Hick, Eric Myers and Manuel Valle present an analysis of Figueiredos montante, the Portugese great-sword. The article by Colin Richards discusses the pedagogy behind the dagger techniques of Fiore dei Liberi`s treatises. The second article by Matt Galas and Eli Steenput presents valuable insights into the Belgian fencing guilds. I´m sure that the articles in French are of equal quality.

If you are interested in one of the aforementioned subjects I´d highly recommend to buy this book. It can be purchased via this website:
    http://www.hemac-dijon.com/index.php...blication.html

Alex Kiermayer
    Last edited by Alex Kiermayer; 06-18-2011 at 03:24 AM.