Thread: Roman head militia sword

Roman head militia sword

I have been looking for an Ames Roman head pommel with the 1832, 34 general and staff blade. This one is not marked but has wheel on grip and looks like Ames etching. It is marked to Massachusetts in that it has the double Indian etched on the blade. It is hard to see and would take a lot of effort and lighting to photograph. I was on a fly in fly out and had to leave sword for a later pick up but grabbed a few photos. Could one of you fine gentlemen up on Ames confirm or deny Ames as the maker and time frame. I have a 1833 Ames Dragoon marked to Massachusetts for it to hang out with and would love one of these marked to North Carolina to go with my other militia Dragoon.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Good evening Eric,
    Peterson describes your sword as "Militia Infantry Officer's sword, 1840-1860.
    Straight blade, 31" long, doubled-edged and elliptical in cross section, narrow fuller, 11 3/4" long, beginning one inch from the hilt.
    Unfortunately, he does not mention any maker.

Thanks Dan, nice call on peterson he is always a weath of information. Unmarked swords are tricky for me at best but I know some of these guys know Ames in and out. While I pick up an Ames now and again he is not in my focus area and I am not knowledgeable on all his traits. I had hoped the wagon wheel and etching was a give away and just wanted conformation. Nice info on the Canadian hussars, I have a couple I got in a deal and had never figured them out. They are a little different. Anyway thanks twice. Regards Eric
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Ames Cabotville militia sword

I would say that your sword is defintely an Ames. Here is mine, Ames Mfg. Co / Cabotville / Mass which puts it in 1847 or 1848 after N.P. Ames died and they stopped using his name, and before they changed from Cabotville to Chicopee. I hope the photos come through and I can add some more if anyone is interested.

two more photos of Ames Militia Sword

I couldn't attach this to my first reply but this is the hilt of the Ames Militia

The knuckle bow and quillon are exactly the same as Ames used on the M1840 foot officer sword.

Name:  Ames Hilt Comp.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  22.4 KB

Robert and Richard many Thanks for the confirmation for Ames looking at Roberts sword and the knuckle bow it leaves no doubt. The shop owner had two of these that match exactly when I bought mine. With the double edge fullered blades I think these make fine looking swords. Richard that is very good info on the knuckle bow it had never crossed my mind, good eye. I have been trying to put a grouping together of very late Federal Period swords and hope to post grouping on my return home. Regards Eric