Thread: WTB: UNOKUBI Hanwei Raptor (bare/project/used okay!)

WTB: UNOKUBI Hanwei Raptor (bare/project/used okay!)

I'm looking for a Hanwei Raptor UNOKUBI zukuri katana.

Pretty much anything goes; bare blades, brand new, used, project blades, etc.

Fittings are optional, if the tsuka is cracked, missing, or if you simply want to keep all the fittings yourself, no problem, the only thing I need is the blade. However I would prefer it to also include the habaki and saya.

Minor cosmetic damage (both on the blade and fittings) is fine: minor scratches, a little red rust, saya with dings and scratches, all no problem.

What I don't want is damage that reduces the structural integrity of the blade itself: no chips, cracks, dings, bends, etc.

I live in The Netherlands, Europe, so please note that the sword will probably have to be shipped internationally.

I prefer to trade the unokubi raptor (plus payment depending on condition and fittings) with my Bugei 5160 Samurai katana if possible.

I would also be interested in a "combined purchase" where we each pay a certain part. The other buyer then keeps the fittings and sends the blade to me (or the other way around of course).
    Last edited by Louis P; 08-25-2015 at 08:49 AM.
    "I still use Internet explorer when I want to get rid of all those pesky programs and documents on my computer. " My Brother

i have a Nambokucho if you dont need a Unokubi in particular...

Thanks for the offer but no thank you.
    That kind of extremely long kissaki geometry is way to fragile for a cutting sword in my opinion.
    "I still use Internet explorer when I want to get rid of all those pesky programs and documents on my computer. " My Brother

Nihonzashi has the Unokubi Raptor for $345. And you get lifetime half price sharpening and repair on the blade. It would be worth it to add the $80 for a full resharpen and clean up the blade and add allot to the ability of the sword.

As for the comment on the nambokucho I can tell you from experience that sword is beefy compared to the unokubi. I used one to cut 2in poplar dowels. The 5160 in a spring temper is joked as a "poor mans L6" so only abuse will damage raptors. I have a 5160 hira zukuri that I cut an oak 1x1 with. And all I hear is how weak the geometry is. That belief is held becsuse a good swordsmen broke a monster hira on a bad cut in a demo some 13 years ago. Walter Sorrells has shown otherwise.

You will find in cutting that there is a gap between held beliefs and real use.
    Last edited by Ricky Arias; 08-28-2015 at 12:46 AM.
    Always have a sense of humor. This is most important when it concerns yourself, it is a strength beyond all measure- Dan Millman

With all due respect for taking the time to comment (no sarcasm here, I'm really grateful that the people on this forum take the time to comment) but if I wanted a brand new one for a lot more than I can buy them here (you have to take into account all the added VAT, customs fees, etc.) I would have already and I wouldn't have made this add.

I'm not going into detail about kissaki geometry but in short:
    There are a lot of other reasons why I want this specific sword but it is simple math, just calculate the cross-sectional surface area. With all other factors being equal (skill of practitioner, manner of employment, heat-treatment, chemical composition, etc), the unokubi has more material (and thus strength) in the tip when going back from the tip mm by mm because the kissaki is shorter and more abrupt. I use my sword for cutting, not stabbing, I don't need a pointy tip, the unokubi geometry has one of the most efficient weight to strength ratios for my purposes and it fits my needs the best.

I'm not saying the nanbokucho is a bad sword or not durable or not capable of the feats you state, it simply doesn't fit my image of an ideal cutting sword.
    Last edited by Louis P; 08-28-2015 at 02:43 AM.

The monouchi area most people cut with goes from yokote to about 14in dowm. Some swordsmen I have met dont even sharpen the kissaki or the area below the monouchi to the habaki. If your talking about actual combative sword use this makes allot more sense. Cuts down on you getting cut by your own sword during rushed use.

If you had said you wanted the unokubi because it was lighter, faster,and less tip heavy I would say that makes sense. Having used an unokubi raptor I can tell you that its rough and lacking in sharpness. And its long in both nakago and nagasa.

Spend $800 on your raptor, sharpening and tsuka upgrade and you will have a sword that can perform next to swords 2-3 times the price. Skilled experienced labor is worth it. Plus being swordsmen the nihonzashi guys and gals can pic a good blade and wont sell you a lemon.If you want to do your own mount work thats awsome. But I have had 6 blades sharpened by nihonzashi. They can produce flat, sharp and smooth as glass JI. For the ha to be free of burr and straight is another nice thing to have.

Overall its worth the money to have a better sword. My hira they worked on had held up through 6 years of dojo use and some competition and its still sharper than a raptor out of the box (the ones I have held anyway).
    Always have a sense of humor. This is most important when it concerns yourself, it is a strength beyond all measure- Dan Millman

Its something to consider. If a sword will make a long voyage you might as well make it above average.
    Last edited by Ricky Arias; 08-28-2015 at 04:47 AM.

Thanks for the advice. I fully agree with you in investing in a good sword with a good geometry that will last, it makes a world of difference. I've had many swords but haven't found the one that's perfect for me yet, the unokubi raptor should be close though. All my new swords get a new tsuka and I almost always have to remove burs or even completely reshape the nakago, in particular horribly deep ground out mune machi seem to be a trend these days.

I knew their website but I don't have personal experience with Nihonzashi so when I read about there sharpening service in the past I took it very literal, meaning: I thought they would just take a sharpening stone to the edge without much eye for proper geometry.

By the way, now that I read my previous post again it might have come off as a bit harsh, sorry if it looked that way, I'm not my sharpest in the morning.

Nihonzashi's owner Mike Femal is one of the best JSA cutters in ths US. He has decades of experience using and sharpening for allot of swordsmen. He uses proper water stones and at times more modern materials. He can even do a full polish if you want. But he is one of very few I trust for such work. Its worth the extra cash trust me.

As for anything else I didnt think you were cross reading your last post. No worries man.

I'm still looking for a Hanwei Unokubi

I've decided to go a different route and I am no longer looking for this sword, this thread can be closed.