Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spanish Colonial swords

Spanish Officers Sword

Spanish Officers sword
    I just found this beauty in central Mexico. I don't run across a lot of the regulation pieces so if some of you Gentlemen would be kind enough to help me with dating and type. I have guessed 1780 plus or minus.
    Total 34
    Blade 29
    Width 7/8
    Thick 3/16
    POB 4 inches from hilt
    Double edged , etching is light.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Eric Fairbanks; 03-18-2016 at 06:22 PM. Reason: add photos
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Errr... some pictures would be of great help!
    SI, SI
    NO, NON

Spanish Officers Sword

Sorry Juan, used 10mp camera and I am having a bit of a problem with Internet. I should have them shortly. Regards Eric
    Last edited by Eric Fairbanks; 03-18-2016 at 06:26 PM. Reason: add photos
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Spanish Officers sword

Couple more photos

Hi, I've had not much free time lately.. but, in a few words, it is a composite:

-The hilt is from a Spanish M1851 Infantry Officer's sabre.
    -The grip looks a restoration.
    -The blade is unknown to me: possibly German.

How long have they been together? Impossible to know...

Hope that helps,
    Juan J.
    SI, SI
    NO, NON

Very interesting Senor Perez, the hilt does have a resemblance to a US m1850 infantry. This would make it a Mexican composite albeit, using a Spanish officer hilt. The horn grip is a thing of beauty. Brown horn polished way beyond smooth. Perhaps it would be beneficial for me for you to write a book on Spanish regulation swords. I had a great trip into the center of Old Mexico. My main goal was ox goad and luna media hocking device pole arms. I found 3 ox goads, one wore out luna media and two beautiful espada anchas, a round tang with guard branches, bone grip and the gratuitous no mi saques often found on early round tangs. I also found a very interesting Potosi style with owner initials. I found this Officer sword and passed it up twice telling myself I know nothing of Spanish regulation but it was inexpensive and I am a slow learner. Regards Eric

Coat of Arms

Colors variant 1843-1868

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12