Thread: Interested in learning to use a Sidesword

Interested in learning to use a Sidesword

So I've thought about getting into HES or HEMA and I really like the cut and thrust, sideswords, "early" rapiers, etc. with a dagger in the off hand. I was curious where I might find a decent one for practicing with, and what, if any opinions/experience anyone had with the Windlass "Munich Town Guard" or the now discontinued(but I've found a couple), "Rheinefelden", also by Windlass. I've read a few reviews and I think one that compared the two, but I'm looking for more or better information if these neither of these two are not worth purchasing.

Thank you for any advice or warnings to come.

I would get a sidesword from DarkwoodArmory.com http://www.darkwoodarmory.com/index....29o8gofkcpj1q3 and your training books from Freelance Academy Press. http://www.freelanceacademypress.com...swordsman.aspx Manciolino covers the Bolognese "side sword" alone and combined with the rotella. If you want sword and dagger... that is a bit later and more into the Rapier realm.
    "Please look in the encyclopedia and make a brief memorandum for me concerning the life of Correggio."
    Elbert Hubbard

Nakamura Ryu Batto Do, Order of Seven Hearts

Thank you, Christopher. I am purchasing the book as we speak and sidesword and rotella sound very interesting after looking into it a bit.

I will look into the swords in the link, in particular I'm interested in the "Arms and Posts" and the "2 Port Cross" flavors. Simple but elegant. I like the curved guard of the former over the straight quillions and but I prefer the closed loop at the top of the finger rings on the ricasso of the latter lol.

You could always try the English Martial Arts, we are based in London and we teach the Sword single, as well as Sword & buckler, Sword & Dagger, Longsword etc

Thank you Frank Docherty but as I live in the US that would be a bit difficult

An update:

Sorry for taking so long but it's been a busy year. Thanks to Christopher's advice, I picked up that book as well as William E. Wilson's "16th Century Single Sword Combat". I plan to purchase a darkwood armoury sword next year but I did get a blackfencer sidesword and have been slowly working through the drills and even did as William Wilson advises to "read the book twice" before starting.

I will be out of the country for most of next year and after I return to the states, I will move to Washington State. I've seen there are a few HEMA clubs there and want to join one. Are there any members here that attend them?

Also, since starting my older two children(12 and 13), have grown intsrested in HEMA as well lol.

VISS next February in Vancouver is a great place to get a feel for different schools and instructors. There are very well respected schools in Eugene, Seattle, and Vancouver but the 16th century fencing community is pretty small and scattered.

Next February as 2017 or 2018? If this Feb, I will not be able to attend.

What is mainly taught in the area? Mostly longsword or rapier?

For what it's worth, I will be in the Seattle Area when I move there.

Long time no update.

So it's been almost a year because work has taken me out of the country. I didn't bring my waster but I brought my books so i could continue to read and study somewhat in my downtime.

Unfortunately, life happens and now I'm moving to NC upon my return and not WA anymore. I've done some searching and there are a couple HEMA schools in that area as well. Are there any other practitioners in that area that could give me more info?

A short update:

Back in the states and have been picking up and relearning footwork and the guard positions. Taking it slow and trying to be as thorough and precise as possible. My daughter wants to learn as well and so I've bought another Blackfencer waster for her. I'm about an hour away from Raleigh and may go up there one of these days/weekends to see the local group classes and may try to become a member.