Thread: I Found Some Swords In The Attic, I Need Some Help...

I Found Some Swords In The Attic, I Need Some Help...

Hi, i've collecting antiques since my childhood but i'm new in swords. My grandfather passed away two months ago, yesterday we found some middle-eastern and other swords in the attic of his house but i don't have enough information about swords. I would be grateful if someone can help me about dating and identification of these swords...

1-) It has a leather sheath, blade has floral pattern and ¨C & J¨ logo
    Name:  IMG_3161.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  89.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_3163.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  90.7 KB
    2-)It has geometric silver inlaid on both blade and hilt and the pommel has a lion mask
    Name:  IMG_3164.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  93.4 KB
    3-) Half of the blade is two sided, the other half is one sided. It has some visible gold inlaid with arabic script (probably ottoman) and a hexagram like star of david
    Name:  IMG_3166.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  90.9 KB
    4-) A Single handed, one sided curved sword with geometric silver inlaid
    Name:  IMG_3167.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  88.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_3168.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  99.6 KB
    5-) A single sided curved sword. It has a wooden scabbard (some rarely visible gold inlaid) and some rarely visible gold inlaid on guard
    Name:  IMG_3169.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  87.8 KB
    6-) A single handed one sided sword with some floral pattern on the lower half of blade. I can't read the logo
    Name:  IMG_3170.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  90.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_3171.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  95.9 KB
    7-) A single handed one sided sword with some floral pattern on the lower half of blade. It has ¨F A H¨ (with the bottom line F A H - S) logo
    Name:  IMG_3173.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  87.5 KB
    8-)
    Name:  IMG_3175.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  89.1 KB
    9-)
    Name:  IMG_3176.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  88.5 KB
    10-)
    Name:  IMG_3177.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  97.4 KB
    11-) It's a axe like weapon or tool. It has old armenian scripts and some crosses on handle (probably the user counted something)
    Name:  IMG_3178.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  97.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_3179.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  101.4 KB
    12-) A Bone grip & pommel
    Name:  IMG_3180.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  93.5 KB
    13-) I don't exactly know this is historical but i found this alongside with others. It's a round profiled metal at the bottom but at the end it has a rectangular profile and a rectangular hole.
    Name:  IMG_3181.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  94.0 KB
    Last edited by U. Yildirim; 01-31-2016 at 09:38 AM.

Some very interesting stuff there, evidently someone was a collector.

No 1 is an infantry sword of a style used throughout Europe in the nineteenth C. loosely known as a Gladius because of its perceived resemblance to a Roman sword. Yours is a little different in that it has a narrower blade than usually seen.
    No 2 is a Kukri from nepal.
    the rest are an assortment of middle eastern blades, Khyber knives, Yataghan, the most interesting is probably the complete one with the broken crossguard could be from a variety of places, Turkey possibly and called a Killige or Shamshir.
    There are a couple of other european ones They have a German look
    I'm sure that there are people here who will add more detail.
    Mel.

No 1 is Clemen & Jung, a German maker in Solingen, they made these for Germany and many other countries at the time...

No 6 is a Naval Sword of some kind, missing the folding guard.

No 7 is a Prussian Cavalry NCO Saber, which was reassembled wrong..missing all the good parts. The maker is Friedrich A. Herder, in Solingen.

Dale
    Last edited by Dale Martin; 01-31-2016 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Martin View Post
    No 1 is Clemen & Jung, a German maker in Solingen, they made these for Germany and many other countries at the time...

No 6 is a Naval Sword of some kind, missing the folding guard.

No 7 is a Prussian Cavalry NCO Saber, which was reassembled wrong..missing all the good parts. The maker is Friedrich A. Herder, in Solingen.

Dale
    Excuse the scant detail, flu has got me feeling like death and I'm just waiting for medication to make me feel human enough to sleep.

No 2 is a tourist grade Kukri (more specifically Indian made and exported in huge numbers worldwide)

No 3 is the blade from a Turkish sword usually just referred to by the Turkish word for sword 'Kılıç'. Could be quite special once carefully conserved.

No 4 looks to be some sort of Yataghan. Warrants further investigation, would be interesting to see close-ups of the geometric inlay.

No 5 is a Shamshir, looks to have koftgari decoration. Again could be very interesting and should be investigated further.

No 8 is a Yataghan, this one has a distinctive 'T' shaped pommel, integral bolster and short broad blade which I've seen identified as being used by those classed as 'Zeibeks'. Deserves further investigation.

No 9 would need more photos to guess

No 10 a cut down blade from the looks of the fuller. At a guess, looks like it may have been re-purposed in the Balkans/Turkey, but could also be a bit further east. Difficult to tell without better pics and more research.

No 11 Really interesting! I have no idea but the script is great and getting it translated should be a priority.

12/13 Piece of deer antler and some sort of threading tool.
    Last edited by Gene Wilkinson; 02-01-2016 at 08:44 AM.

I'm in agreement with Gene on these - especially #2 - as a kid I purchased one very similar Kukri through the mail in the early 1960s!

--ElJay

No 10 looks like a Bauernwehr or Messer...
    "Please look in the encyclopedia and make a brief memorandum for me concerning the life of Correggio."
    Elbert Hubbard

Nakamura Ryu Batto Do, Order of Seven Hearts