Thread: Need some help with a British 1788 cavalry sword

Need some help with a British 1788 cavalry sword

I picked this up very recently.
    Catalogue description:
    1788 Pattern Cavalry Sword, 291/2inch single edged slightly curved blade. Large fuller with narrowback edge fuller. Steel D shaped knuckle bow and downswept quillon.Steel backstrap. Polised wooden angled ribbed grip. Some edge nicks.

My stats:

Weight, sword:1lb 5oz (0.6kg)
    Length overall: 35'' (89cm) Blade:29.5''(75cm)
    POB: 6.5'' (16.5cm) fromcrossguard.
    Profile taper: 1.27'' (32.4 cm) at ricasso, 1.15'' (29.2mm) at mid blade, 1.03'' (26.2mm) 2 inches fromtip.
    Distal taper 0.29''(7.4.mm) at ricasso, 0.17'' (4.3mm)at mid blade, 0.12'' (3mm) 2inches from tip.

These stats make it a lot smaller and lighter than the regulation 36 inch blade and 2lb 14oz weight of a 1788 according to Robson. Also there are no langets on the hilt. The angled ribbed grip with no langets is similar to a 1788 hilt shown in World Swords, 2006 edition by Harvey Withers, page 80. He describes this a variant, possibly Volunteer Regiment. The large fuller ends only 3 inches from the point which may indicate the sword has been cut down but it doesn't look like it has been altered.
    Any ideas anyone? The only suggestion that I could come up with is that this is a non-regulation infantry officer's sword. I know that flank company officers later liked to carry swords that looked like scaled down versions of the iconic 1796 light cavalry blade. Anybody seen similar before?
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    The journey not the destination

I think that you are correct in identifying this as a non-regulation infantry officer's sword.

A very nice non-regulation infantry officer's sword.
    Peace, Love, SWORDS!

I've a similar short sabre. The counterguard had been broken off at some point. I have some picture files of other shorter bladed examples, so they must have been somewhat common.. I would list them as stirrup rather than D hilts but it is a small matter.

Cheers

Hotspur; mine had arrived with aspadroon of the same fashion
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thank you all. I'm slowly getting there. Glen I can find no trace of a counterguard on mine, I don't think it ever had one. Is your sabre by an American maker? I think mine is British but there is nothing to say it is other than the general style, so I am prepared to be educated on this.
    The journey not the destination

Hi Guy, I think both my pair shown are British made. The butts show two different ways. The hussar type hilts anything but specifically 1788 but I think the grip shape more defines the trend of the 1790s. My Woolley spadroon is similar in all respects, as far as shape goes.

Cheers

Hotspur; There were some hussar type hilts from America such as the Rose and Starr cavalry sabers of the late 18th century.