Thread: Identfy a medieval sword

Question Identfy a medieval sword

Hello,for some time now i have been searching for a genuine medieval blade to add to my collection.
    I have found one being sold as a XVII sword,but i think it could be older and what i have been looking for.It has the pommel,but no guard.It also has some markings that could help to identfy it.
    It has a `+´ and is pretty similar to the type XIII of the Oakeshott typology,
    Any help or info is appreciated.
    Sincerely

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  35.9 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  50.5 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  33.3 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  33.5 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  68.9 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  83.2 KB

Name:  Oakeshott_types.png
Views: 78
Size:  58.0 KB

Just from the blade tang I suppose this blade belongs to a rapier ca. 1550-1650, which fits to what this sword is offered to you
    Non soli cedit!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank WR View Post
    Just from the blade tang I suppose this blade belongs to a rapier ca. 1550-1650, which fits to what this sword is offered to you
    Well,i didn't consider it a rapier because of the blade shape but yea,the tip could be broken

It is a bit absurd to request identification and confirmation from scant incomplete photographs and information. Many have little patience in playing twenty questions and blind man's bluff.

Please post images of complete overall shots and include all available specifications.

Looks 16th-17th century to me due to the ricasso.

With that pommel shape, the two ferrules, and the ricasso on the de blade, I think that what you have there is the remains of a Spanish military broadsword. These date from the late 1600s right up into the late 1700s.

Hi,

I'm of the same opinion. The blade may be a German import (not rare in the first half of the 18th century), but the pommel is quite distinctive.

Juan J.
    SI, SI
    NO, NON