Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Help with name initials on a Wilkinson again!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Easton View Post
    A tale of two Toledos... The top one made in 1856 for a Grenadier Guards officer (re-hilted between 1897 and 1901), the one below the 1857 example of this thread. I thought it would be interesting for people to see the two different sizes generally made for infantry vs cavalry (though an officer could basically order whatever size they wanted). The Guards blade is 32 1/2 by 1 1/8 inches, the larger one is 36 by 1 1/4 inches.

And alongside a couple of other Wilkinsons - top a standard 1845 type blade with a patent solid hilt, dating to the 1860s, below that an epee-type 'rapier' blade for the commanding officer of the Scots Guards from 1875:

Hi Matt,

Interesting very interesting display indeed! May I ask the proof number of your Guards sword, and how it was described on the proof docket?

Gordon

Or maybe you meant the Scots Guards one? That is below ("Dress Scots Fusilier Guards Sword with Straight Triangular 3 Flutes Rapier Blade" for Lt-Col. H. H. D. Stracey):

Stracey was a keen fencer incidentally and I have an original print of him in his fencing gear:

What do you make of the spelling of the name on the side of the docket?

Lt Colonel Montresor served in the Crimean War from 29th December 1854 and was present at the Siege and fall of Sebastopol, being awarded the Crimea Medal with clasp, 5th class of the Medjidie, and the Turkish Medal.

Matt, I find it interesting that your rapier-bladed Wilkinson is numbered. I have a similar sword by Wilkinson -- though diamond-shaped in the cross section -- but there's no number to be found on it. The owner, Captain Stephen Ram of the Scots Fusilier Guards, earned his commission in 1859, long after Wilkinson started to number their blades.

I had assumed that Wilkinson didn't bother to number the rapiers, even though the Henry Wilkinson name and Pall Mall, London address are rendered in an attractive copperplate-like font in the fullers. I'll have to see if Ram had older relatives in the army; perhaps it was a blade made before Wilkinson started numbering and later passed down to Ram when his was commissioned.

I suppose if it is not numbered then it might not have been proved and instead classed as a court sword - they did not number their court or masonic dress swords after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Easton View Post
    George Moulas Slaughter was an assistant surgeon with the 7th Hussars.
    After lots of digging around, I think that Slaughter was quite likely the purchaser of my sword. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a photo of him in uniform (only civilian clothes). If anybody has any leads on that front, it would be great.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234