Thread: Civil War light and heavy scabbards

Civil War light and heavy scabbards

Nathan Starr was a stickler for Japan black and believed not just scabbard but sword as well should be coated. I am hoping one of you can shed some light on common practice on Ames, S&H, Horstsmann, all American makers and german makers during Civil War. I cannot seem to find any info on standard practice at factory and then once in service. I am mainly interested in the calvary light and heavy model but curious on any. Anyone? Eric
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Eric,

Generally speaking, the American made US Civil War Light and Heavy Cavalry sabers had their scabbards finished bright. That is to say they were burnished steel when they came from the factory.
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

Thank you for your help George. The concept of period field service condition appeals to me for at least one on the wall. Regards Eric
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe