Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: General Sir James Hope Grant

Interesting the mention of a will, Will… Shebeare's letter to his family (brother I think) says that he was sending two swords home from India - one his 'old war sword', which was a cavalry sword that he picked up from a fallen fellow infantry officer, which he described as too heavy, plus a tulwar which he says he wore most places after he got it. He also asked his family to order him a top quality 'regimental sword'. So potentially he had three swords and only one of those might be identifiable to Shebeare - the other two appearing as a regular cavalry sword (perhaps 1853, or 1821 officer's) and a tulwar… if either still exists, they are probably neglected and unappreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by JordanPL View Post
    Although this sword didn't inflict any bodily harm at least it is marked to him and a nice Wilkinson in it's own right. And it's in the painting and photo
    Yes it is a wonderful sword! I'd be very happy to have that in my collection.

Longworths Wilkinson sword is a regulation 1845p infantry sword with brass scabbard. He was promoted to Maj. for gallantry after commanding the 31st regt. at the battle of Sobraon.
    Field officers wore brass scabbards and the good condition of the sword though sharpened suggests he bought it after being promoted.
    The 31st regt. had no field officers when the battle of Sobraon began, they were killed and injured. The battle was fought at the point of the bayonet and Longworth had his horse shot out from under him but was one of the few officers to escape injuries.

Great provenance there Will. I have sent you some info on H.C.Onslow...hope you don't have all of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Easton View Post
    Yes it is a wonderful sword! I'd be very happy to have that in my collection.
    Thanks Matt!

Does anyone know how to get hold of Robert Wilkinson-Latham? I would really like to see if I could get a few of his books.

Does anyone know how to get hold of Robert Wilkinson-Latham? I would really like to see if I could get a few of his books.
    As per Matt's post #36, Pooley Sword should have Robert's books.

John
    "If I can't be a good example to others, at least let me be a horrible warning".

I have tried but apparently he now sells them directly. They said they would forward my enquiry to him.
    Unfortunately they don't sell them anymore and although they said they would forward the message, no joy yet.

Received this today. The auctioneer eventually got around to visiting the widow of the previous owner and she very kindly shared her late husband's documents on the Hope Grant sword.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those were the days, when a researcher's time came to only £2! That was a few weeks' pocket money for me then!
    "If I can't be a good example to others, at least let me be a horrible warning".

Agreed! And there would have been much more physical work back then...definitely no online resources

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Easton View Post
    What on earth did people think was an 1834 pattern?
    Probably comes from when there weren't many good reference sources available - someone captioned a photo "Cavalry sword, 1834" and it was taken to mean there was a pattern of that designation.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I had ordered these a while ago and have been waiting for them to arrive. I thought they would go wonderfully with the sword.

Only to discover the the book had a little surprise inside:

Great stuff, I'm currently finishing of a book written by one of the owners of one of my swords.

That really adds to the sword. I'm sure there is more just waiting to be found.

Fantastic Jordan, truly envious of the Probyn connection, and here she is!
    Last edited by Ben Bevan; 11-22-2016 at 06:09 AM.

Thanks chaps, I appreciate the comments.

The Probyn connection was unexpected, I would have been happy with just the books

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bevan View Post
    Fantastic Jordan, truly envious of the Probyn connection, and here she is!
    Hallo Bevan,
    Thanks for posting this photo of Lady Probyn. If you have the original publication of Country Life, would it be possible to have you copy it in better close-up detail. Alternatively, relay to me the edition number or publication date so that I can pursue the photo and whatever article goes with it inside.
    I ask this because I also have an interest in 'things Probyn'.
    I have his presentation mameluke gifted to him by the Prince of Wales on his Indian Tour. I can be reached at martin-la@mweb.co.za if that allows easier transmission of material not really related to the General Hope-Grant thread.
    Kindly thanks
    Martin

Martin, email sent, regards Ben.

Thought I might update the thread on Hope Grant's sword as I decided to restore the scabbard to it's original finish (as opposed to the black paint it had on) and I believe the result speaks for itself:

I was also lucky enough to secure another pre-serial number Wilkinson regimentally marked to the 9th Lancers. Interestingly this one has a Solid Blade and is a truer representation, than Hope Grant's , of the rubbing dated to 1852. Alas no provenance with this one:

Excellent job on the scabbard Jordan, some might disagree, but I think it's now back to how it should be.

Thanks Ben, it has been bothering me for a while now! It really matches the portrait and photo now.

Jordan just as the scabbard should be. Any later/modern finishes are not authentic and removal if it doesn't harm is perfectly correct.
    Maybe the Grant sword would wish to visit my collection?? I suspect not.
    I'm not a fan of over polishing and removing metal but bringing a sword or even a medal (dodge the flak) back to original look as if it were to be worn I think is the best policy. (as long as repeated attempts are not done and conservation has been done to prevent further corrosion and tarnishing)
    Always exceptions with highly corroded relics as they appear best left as is.
    I always look for the medals an officer had but I have yet to marry any to a sword I own.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123