Thread: Help with WW2 German NCO sword indentification

Help with WW2 German NCO sword indentification

Hello all!

I was wondering if I could get any information about the German NCO sword that I acquired recently. What is odd about it is that it has no maker marks. I know that these swords are usually made by Weyersberg Kirschbaum and co. or Eickhorn, but where the maker marks usually are there is nothing. I am quite sure that it is original. I am also pretty sure that there are no other markings on both the sword and the scabbard. I would also greatly appreciate any info on the portepee/sword knot because I have not been able to get any information on it. If you need any more information or pictures I would be happy to send you them.

Name:  .jpg
Views: 103
Size:  55.8 KB

Thanks a million,

-Nico

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...rd-knot-colors

sword knots cannot be guaranteed original to the sword as they are easily added at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...rd-knot-colors

sword knots cannot be guaranteed original to the sword as they are easily added at any time.
    Hi,

I was pretty sure that it wasn't original to the sword, but do you know if it's a real one? I can give you pictures if you'd like. I was not able to find anything about the colors of it.

Thanks!

Nico,

Show us a couple of closeup photos of your knot. This is a Faustriemen and is the proper style of knot for an enlisted man's sword like this.

Also, it is not uncommon that these private purchase enlisted swords do not have a maker name on them. There were quite a few makers and some were simply sold cheaply without a maker marking.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by George Wheeler View Post
    Nico,

Show us a couple of closeup photos of your knot. This is a Faustriemen and is the proper style of knot for an enlisted man's sword like this.

Also, it is not uncommon that these private purchase enlisted swords do not have a maker name on them. There were quite a few makers and some were simply sold cheaply without a maker marking.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
    Thanks George,

Here are some close up pics. Please request more if you need them!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Name:  IMG_2265.JPG
Views: 46
Size:  36.1 KB

OK... good pictures. The Faustriemen is tied correctly on your sword. The leather strap is green which indicates it is a Heer (Army) enlisted knot so it is a correct knot for your enlisted man's Army sword. I can't tell the color of the woven leather slider or the crown of the knot but perhaps you can find a similar color combination on the chart that Will gave you a link to. The ball appears to be white rather than grey in the photo. If the ball and insert on the bottom of the knot are white then the knot is early pre-war rather than a wartime knot which has a grey ball and insert.

I hope this is helpful.

George
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

Thanks so much!

I'm not to sure about the anatomy of the sword knot but the woven leather bit is a deep maroon. Assuming that the "crown" is the top of the knot (Somewhat like the top of an acorn) It is a very deep dark green. The ball, assuming that is the main body of it, is yellow/gold, which is why I am having so much trouble with it! I cant find any like it. It seems like the insert on the bottom is gray, but that could just as easily be aging.

Also, I can get some pictures with flash in the morning.
    Last edited by Nico C.; 10-03-2016 at 10:34 PM.