Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eagle Pommel. Question on Terminology

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Schenk View Post
    Eric,

That is certainly an interesting LePage-style saber! What is the grip? faceted metal? Can't really tell from the photo, but it almost looks like the grip on the Prahl brass-hilted Philadelphia sabers. The blade is a bit unusual for a Le Page, most all of which have the "Honour and My Country" set of decorative motifs. This blade looks more like what I'd expect to see on the so-called M1790 NCO swords. Finally, and maybe most interesting, the knot. I wonder if it is contemporaneous to the saber? I really don't know knots, but I thought this style was a bit later than the Le Page swords. It looks, however, like it was made for this sword. It certainly would seem to offer a utilitarian reason for the knotch on the top of the knuckle guard beyond just appearance. I think this may be one of the later Le Page-style swords, so maybe it did overlap with the use of this style knot. If not too much trouble, could you post a close-up of the hilt?

Dick
    Richard, through reading your, George's and many others post, I though being knot stupid, have become mesmerized with them and picked this sword because it had a knot attached that looked of age. I have wanted a French style eagle for some time. I have not determined what the grip is made of but it is faceted metal similar to or almost exactly like Prahls but pommel and guard are brass with silver wash. I have not cleaned up nor examined fully but cannot find any markings at this point. I will be glad to post photos and measurements in the next day or two. We are just overloaded here with snow and cold at the moment. I will look forward to your comments on both sword and knot. Perhaps added later but it has age on it and is metallic. The le Page style new in my scope but very interesting thanks to your post. Regards Eric
    Last edited by Eric Fairbanks; 02-26-2017 at 10:56 AM. Reason: extra info
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Wolf French eagle head

Richard, I had not looked at this sword but briefly in passing. I was wrong about the fauceted grips they are smooth. My niece had unwrapped it and I only moved it to table. Today I took a quick look and while it is marked Warranted I think it is a Solingen blade because of the etching. The knot looks very old the wrapd have taken on the shape of the knuckle bow so it has been with this sword a very long time, perhaps one of the later wars. The icing on the cake is its a Wolf. Regards Eric
    Last edited by Eric Fairbanks; 02-27-2017 at 04:30 PM.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Nice C&J Wolfe markings. That would support a post-Napoleonic date for this sword, e.g. 1816-1829, which makes it more likely this is a contemporaneous knot. The knot seems in remarkably good condition, especially the internal red and green tassels. As for the grip, I suspect it is a replacement. The silver grip does not really seem to fit well on either the top or bottom. These later Le Page's usually (but not always) had checkered ebony grips with a somewhat larger, more rectangular cross-sectional shape. If you look at the platform on the hilt which supports the bottom of the grip, it looks like it was made for such a grip. That being said, I believe it is probably a period replacement. I doubt if someone just restoring the sword would have chosen to use silver, especially with the bottom ferrules. The original may have been damaged, but quite possibly the owner just wanted a fancy silver grip.

While rummaging through image folders, I was working on some of the Solingen angry eagles and came across pictures I had saved from an auction eight years ago. My files have the date at 10/30/2009. I had tucked them away in a presentation folder, as that is how the seller had listed it and as a Berger to boot. At any rate, Eric's silver gripped sword with the Wolfe marked blade. Sold with a partial scabbard. I have no other notes regarding it but it is possibly a composite.

Cheers

GC
    Attached Images Attached Images         

Well I suppose we know the hilt has been with this blade for at least 8 years. The distressing part is all the hours looking at paintings from federal period with swords with knots. The encouraging thing was the mop style showing up in paintings of the era but discouraging to see this sword with scabbard but no knot 8 short years ago. While not conclusive proof it is not a period rehilt it does cast a shadow on this Wolf. I will take close ups of hilt on my return to states. Regards Eric

While a little bit different, regard the "Standish Barry" fig 24 and the following page in the old testament. The more I have looked at the sword, the more the blade does seem to fit the hilt. The grip still has me stumped and I had not wanted to jump to any conclusions. There are indications of a misfit and my first impressions regarded a smooth grip with no decoration and that the rest of the hilt is not silvered.

I had been reading through the Furr book last month and have promptly forgotten the couple of aha moments regarding eagles but I'll wait for a different time.

Cheers

GC
    Last edited by Glen C.; 10-22-2017 at 08:03 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12