Thread: Aldo Nadi vs Nedo Nadi

Aldo Nadi vs Nedo Nadi

While I do not consider them classical fencers, per se (certainly Aldo did not see himself so), many in classical fencing circles cite them. Sadly, most of our opinions are based on written text and still photographs. While I do not propose this to be an answer, it may be a start in research.

Aldo Nadi vs Nedo Nadi

I am new to this forum so I hope you will forgive me if my post is not exactly what you are looking for.

The fencing coach at my High School was a former student of Aldo Nadi. So I had heard of Aldo Nadi before I actually met him.

I did very well in the 1965 qualifying tournament for the National Championship in foil fencing and two of the people I fenced against were Jerry Adomian and a man from Japan named Okawa (spelling?). What I didn't realise was they were on Aldo Nadi's team.

A few days later I received a postcard congratulating me for my performance and invitation to visit Nadi's school. The postcard was signed Aldo Nadi. A few days later I received a copy of Aldo Nadi's self-published autobiography.

When I went to his studio, the first thing Aldo Nadi did was compliment me on having "the second best physique for fencing" that he had ever seen. I was 6'2" and weighed 145 lbs. Naturally, the best physique belonged to Aldo Nadi. He told a story of how he was laying on a beach after the end of World War II and a woman asked him if he was a refugee from a Nazi concentration camp. Aldo Nadi was very skinny and I imagine he was extremely fast on his feet.

Aldo Nadi also told a story about being in the Army as a commander. He managed to get lost from his command and spent several days wondering around lost with his personal servant. Aldo Nadi credited this servant with saving his life and stated that he would never forget the man but couldn't remember his name.

Finally, Aldo Nadi regretted that he was unable to stick around to give me a lesson but he had a date with a "lucky" girl who turned out to be a twenty something years old co-ed from UCLA. I was drafted about two months later and a few months after that Aldo Nadi died.

I never saw Aldo Nadi fence but I have seen some of his student in the 60's. Their lunges were short and for the most part standing upright. You hear about them having their back heel off the ground and I believe it. They never seemed to have the fast lunge taught at Falcon Studios by Ralph Faulkner. Ralph Faulkner taught you to drive with your back leg with so much power that it was impossible to have your back heel off the ground.