Thread: Need Help Identifying this Maker Mark on this Highlander Replica, Older Marto?

Need Help Identifying this Maker Mark on this Highlander Replica, Older Marto?

I'm looking at a sword for sale, but I'm not too familiar with the mark on the habaki. This mark seems to be a shield with an "M" inside it. The blade has a "Made in Spain" sticker on it. At first glance the sword looks like a Marto Highlander Connor katana because of the tsuba, but the pics are kind of crappy. Any ideas?

Name:  dXM7Gua.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  87.8 KB

Name:  HUUup6Y.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  93.0 KB

Ok, I managed to figure it out. The sword mark reads "TMP" whom I've never heard of. I have to say though, that handle is a spot on clone of the one by Marto. Maybe they were sourced from the same company.

Just now saw this post. The sword is from the Marto collection. It was a sword sold by a company called The Noble Collection. They are still around but deal a lot now in movie reproductions. They sold the Marto blades but with there logo on it as well. So yes it is a Marto blade but just distributed through The Noble Collection. I know its a little late but a least now you know.

Welcome to the forum.

Fun fact, Sword Forum International started out because of Highlander, but those posts have been archived and possibly lost by now...

However, there is a website that you may find helpful. That looks like the sword found here: http://www.weapons-universe.com/Bran...d_Katana.shtml which has the fuchi, which was not a thing on the props. I was never a fan of the "officially licensed" replicas.. they were either wrong, or looked like someone was learning to draw and couldn't quite get it right. I think this was due to Sal D'Aquila or the studio owning the rights to the actual prop molds and the designs. Kind of a shame when you think about it.

Sal D'Aquila is really the person to go to for a proper replica of a Highlander prop sword (I need to do it someday...). His website can be found here: http://www.pointgallery.com/sword/pages/sword.html
    Last edited by Jeff Ellis; 10-11-2017 at 04:41 PM.
    I like swords.

If you want to climb a mountain, begin at the top.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

learn the way to preserve rather than destroy.
    avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.
    for all life is precious, not one can be replaced.