Thread: Robson v 'accepted wisdom'

Robson v 'accepted wisdom'

Hi all

As a newbie into this world (of British military swords) I often feel like I am playing catchup with the very basic of stuff.

After finding this invaluable and helpful community I sought out Robson's Swords of the British Army, the revised edition which as a reference, is first class.

In reading through all the old threads on this site, however it seems to be accepted that there are some issues on which the book is wrong or misleading.

This is only to be expected with such a work but I wondered what other issues I might not be aware of where conventional wisdom diverges from what's in print.

One thread which springs to mind is in reference to the confusion over the (non) existence of the officer's heavy cavalry 1887 pattern as a distinct pattern from the 1821/22 pattern.

My idea is to have a thread, perhaps a sticky, which does not discuss such issues but simply references threads which do, providing a link with a few words to describe the crux of the issue. This would avoid the thread becoming cluttered with long discussions on a single point and lose value as a quick reference guide.

Whereas there are no doubt too few issues to expect further editions of the book, it would be valuable, especially for the inexperienced to be aware of any issues that are controversial so that errors and misconceptions are not compounded and continue as accepted fact.

It could also include threads discussing discrepancies between the first and revised editions of the book so people who own one or the other are alive to where confusion might arise.

Although my main aim would be to identify issues in Robson because it is a cornerstone of our understanding, the idea could of course be extended to cover other frequently used reference material.

Any thoughts? If there are too few of these issues that it is simply not considered worthwhile then that would also be helpful to know.

Regards
    Last edited by james.elstob; 03-04-2017 at 05:05 AM.

Why not just buy an up-to-date book?
    Celeriter nil crede

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dellar View Post
    Why not just buy an up-to-date book?
    Name:  20170305_092025-1560x1560-624x624~2.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  83.2 KB

Hi Richard,

Has this revised edition been revised and is it free from errors now? Perhaps what I've read about was just in reference to the first edition.

Richard,

Having had my morning coffee it now occurs to me that I missed your point, sorry!

Having had more than one person jump in by pm to recommend a different book, I think I'll be putting in an order!

I must say I have thoroughly enjoyed Richards book which has info not found in any other book. Great photos of seldom seen swords and the more common types.