Thread: Ethiopian (???) Sword Questions

Ethiopian (???) Sword Questions

First post here on the forum. Pretty cool place y'all have here.

Several years ago when I was living in Bahrain, I bought a sword from a guy I had met there. The guy owned a shop that sold random stuff from around the region. He had picked up this sword in Yemen and brought it back to Bahrain, supposedly. Anyway, I had forgot about it until I was unpacking some old boxes this weekend and found it.

Any idea what the writing says? How do I tell if it is an actual sword of a souvenir piece? Any other info about the sword?

Thank you, in advance, for any info you might have.

It's out of my small sphere of knowledge, so I won't guess, but it's a super thing, whatever it is.

The color and texture of the blade is certainly consistent with spring steel. Hold it by the point in the first 5 inches of the foible. Does it flex or is it stiff? I agree with Mr. Ford it is a beautiful little treasure and appears very well made but not a type I know anything about. Eric
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Fairbanks View Post
    The color and texture of the blade is certainly consistent with spring steel. Hold it by the point in the first 5 inches of the foible. Does it flex or is it stiff? I agree with Mr. Ford it is a beautiful little treasure and appears very well made but not a type I know anything about. Eric
    The blade does flex a bit, not completely rigid.

I myself see no problems with it but you need Gene or Javier or one of the other guys that are up on eastern swords. Give it a little time they will be along. Beautiful piece. Eric
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Fairbanks View Post
    I myself see no problems with it but you need Gene or Javier or one of the other guys that are up on eastern swords. Give it a little time they will be along. Beautiful piece. Eric
    This is an Ethiopian sword blade that has been re-worked in Sanaa, Yemen. Very nice. Done in the last 30 years, I would guess.

These have been discussed a number of times over the years. There are some interesting threads in the archive, I've outlined two in the identical thread in the main section:

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Wilkinson View Post
    Great looking sword. The old threads are a great resource for comparison:

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...ilted-in-Yemen

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...-for-Abyssinia