Thread: Small Jambia

Small Jambia

Pickedup a small Jambia dagger rcently. I had been looking for an exampleof an Arab style dagger to add to my collection and this was goingcheap at a re-enactors market. It was in a dirty and rather batteredstate but the price was good. Once I cleaned it up I was quitepleased. Dagger hilt and sheath appear to be decorated silver Thesheath has 2 small fixed side rings and a hooked shape. The blade isslim and not at all like the broad bladed Jambia with pronouncedcentral rib that you see . The blade was roughhly finished and wasunsharpened, no edge at all. There were prominant file marks ,perhaps intended to imitate wootz ( i'm pretty sure it isn't wootsbut have tried to get some close up shots so people with moreknowledge can make a judjement for themselves.
    Mystats
    Weightin sheath: 7.4oz (0.21kg), Dagger only: 3.2oz(0.9kg)
    Length overall in sheath: 12.75'' (32.5cm) Bladeand hilt: 11'' (28cm) Blade only: 5.75'' (14.5cm)
    POB:At cross piece
    Profile taper: 0.76'' (19.3mm) at ricasso, 0.67'' (17.2mm)at mid blade, 0.44'' (11.7mm) 1 inches fromtip.
    Distal taper 0.11'' (3mm) at ricasso, 0.11'' (3mm)at mid blade,. 0.1'' (2.6mm) 2 inches from tip.

Soquestions:
    Isthis correctly identified as a jambia?
    Whereis it from?
    Moderntourist piece?, old tourist piece?, somthing a bit nicer?
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    The journey not the destination

Hi Guy
    Of that 'family'.
    It's a Moroccan Koummya.
    Certainly on the 'touristy' side.

2nd to last picture looks like the TV in Poltergeist: "They're Here"!.

Thanks Gene. I got similar replies on another forum. This was cheap and looks nice now it's polished so I'm quite happy. Good to know what it actually is.
    The journey not the destination