Thread: WTS Brand New Howard Clark L6 Bainite Wak- Fully Polished and mounted by Keith Larman

WTS Brand New Howard Clark L6 Bainite Wak- Fully Polished and mounted by Keith Larman

I am reposting this ad with a clearer title/description. Mods please feel free to delete the old ad if you want.

Price is $6,000 (plus the actual registered mail/ins. costs if any are needed.)

I ordered this long wak blade in L6 from Howard in January of 2009 and Howard shipped it to Keith when it was done.

Keith fully polished and mounted it and I gave him full artistic freedom to do what he wanted, to do whatever he felt was appropriate. I received it in the summer of 2015 from Keith and it was well worth the wait. Poor Keith slaved on this thing for years and it is an absolutely stunning piece of artistic perfection. It is freaking amazing to look at and to hold.

Problem is, back then when I ordered it some 7 years ago, I was pretty hardcore into my training. In the years that have passed, life has gotten in the way of training regularly. I moved away so that traveling to the dojo is now a looong drive. My energy has also drifted somewhat into other pursuits (namely, fixing up our first house). Not sure if I will return to training, a good part of me wants to but the fire is just not there and hot enough like it used to be.

The point of all this non-sale related blather is to explain the background and to make the main point that this stunning piece needs to be with someone with the passion and at this time, that just ain’t me.

The specs then: it is absolutely brand new. Never trained with, never cut with, I have never even swung the thing. When I received it, I wanted to keep it absolutely brand new and pristine in the event I decided to sell it. When I planned it and ordered it from Howard, I envisioned a BIG L6 Bainite wak that would have lots of speed (thin L6 Baininte steel) and also some extra mass (longer than is common) out front to help get through the mats easier. Believe me, with my skill, I need all the help I can get!

My measurements tell me the following:

Nagasa: 21 ¾”
    Motohaba: 1 ¼”
    Kasane: 3/16”
    Sori: Saki Sori. ¼”
    Kissaki: O-Kissaki (2”).
    Nakago: No idea. I ain’t taking it apart to measure it and am keeping it absolutely new and “unmessed with.”

Some other details. Keith indicated in his emails to me that the menuki are from Japan. They are golden and shiny and beautiful. Not sure what they are, some creature with legs though. The fuchi/kashira are from Ford Hallam. Classic dragonfly tsuba appropriately sized to this big wak. The saya is a gorgeous polished black fading into dark brown at the koiguchi.

Between Howard and Keith I have $6K into this and that is what I am looking to recover. The price ain’t budging. If it sells to a good and worthy home, great, if it does not sell, that is fine as well. Simply having this piece of artistic perfection in steel around to look at from time to time, and maybe even train with someday if I get back into it, is fine with me.

If you have the passion and the checkbook depth, this is a one of a kind custom piece available now-no waiting for years. Thanks for looking.

Chris Thomas

Here are the photos I have of it. I can take and email other photos to potential buyers if needed.

Name:  ChrisTonbo.jpg
Views: 1384
Size:  92.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0945.JPG
Views: 936
Size:  81.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0946.JPG
Views: 946
Size:  49.7 KB

Name:  IMG_4269.JPG
Views: 959
Size:  92.4 KB