Thread: Pallasch late 17th or early 18th Century?

Pallasch late 17th or early 18th Century?

Greetings,
    I have just purchased this pallasch, but I have not been able to identify it yet. From the look of the condition of the blade, the steel cup guard and the pommel, I think it may be late 17th or early 18th Century pallasch. It is quite clearly a military cavalry weapon from the design. However, I have no idea in which nation it was used if this is at all possible to identify. The cup guard is rather distinctive, so this may be a good clue for identification.
    The overall length is 105 cm and the blade is 90 cm long. It is double edged from the point and 31 cm along the blade. The blade has one broad fuller in the centre of the blade and one narrow fuller along the back of the blade, starting 10 cm from the hilt.
    The cup is marked with an “A” over a line with the number “29” beneath. The A is closest to the blade and the number closest to the pommel.
    Any help with identification would be highly appreciated.
    Regards,
    Trygve
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Congrats, it's a rare English Cavalry, dragoon backsword circa 1775. The marks probably being 'A' troop, sword number 29 of that particular regiment. The only one I've personally handled being made by Birmingham sword maker Samuel Harvey, any traces of a makers mark on the blade e.g. SH or a 'running wolf'? Ben.

It's a brute-iful sword!

I agree it is certainly a beaut.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Thanks a lot for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bevan View Post
    Congrats, it's a rare English Cavalry, dragoon backsword circa 1775. The marks probably being 'A' troop, sword number 29 of that particular regiment. The only one I've personally handled being made by Birmingham sword maker Samuel Harvey, any traces of a makers mark on the blade e.g. SH or a 'running wolf'? Ben.
    There looks to be some mark like a letter(s?) under the patina on one side of the blade, but I do not feel for polishing it. It will have a nice place in the collection. Thanks again.

Trygve

Fabulous sword.
    The markings look like 'A' over '23' with another 'A' below?