Thread: Straight Blade Tulwar

Straight Blade Tulwar

The secondof my recent purchases from the re-enactors market. Again it cost nota lot but I was attracted to it because of the straight blade which Ihaven't seen often on a tulwar. I don't know if the blade is Europeanor indigenous. It is a light and flexible blade which reminds me of aScottish backsword type if I had to pick something European. There are twin fullers, one central down to the tip and one to the back rdge which ends bout 10 inches short. The hiltis very plain, no knuckle bow and not even a hint of decorationaround the boss of the pommel dish.. No markings at all on hilt orblade.

Weight:1lb 8oz (0.68kg)
    Length overall: 37.5'' (95cm) Blade:33''(84cm)
    POB: 8'' (20cm)
    Profile taper: 1.51'' (38.5mm) at ricasso, 1.27'' (32.4mm)at mid blade, 1.02''(26mm) 2 inches from tip. Blade widens to about 1.2'' (30.7 mm)roughly 7'' (18cm) from the tip.
    Distal taper 0.24'' (6.2mm) at ricasso, 0.13'' (3.4mm)at mid blade,. 0.09''(2.3mm) 2 inches from tip.

Allcomments gratefully received as always
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    The journey not the destination

Hi Guy,
    It looks as if the fullers continue into the hilt meaning that the blade has been shortened - is that correct? It reminds me of firanghi that I have seen which have European blades.
    Firanghi (foreigner) are called that because of their use of European blades which were sometimes shortened before being fitted with an Indian hilt. Usually firanghi have a wider circular guard and pommel disk as well as an extended pommel spike which allowed them to be used with two hands.
    Your blade certainly looks European (many Scottish swords had German, Italian and Spanish imports) so my guess is that your tulwar has a shortened European trade blade. Hope that is of some help.

Thank you. Yes the fullers do seem to go right up into the hilt. It was a cheap sword and I like the idea of having a straight bladed tulwar so I'm now happy to call it Firanghi.
    The journey not the destination