Thread: Pommel Nut does not seem right on Austrian Hungarian Saber?

Smile Pommel Nut does not seem right on Austrian Hungarian Saber?

I have this saber and I am not sure if the pommel nut is original to the sword.

The saber's dimensions are :
    -handle is 5.5 inches
    -blade length: 29.5 inches long
    -blade width: 1 & 11/16 inches

I think the saber may have been taken apart at some point and leather re-gripped. The handle leather is surrounded by what I think is copper wire (*you can see the discoloration on the grip wire that is different from the brass guard.

My concerns about the pommel nut:

1) The pommel nut appears to be gilded. The nut appears to be a different color than the brass grip.
    2) I cannot see the tang sticking out of the pommel nut.
    3) I tested the pommel nut with a magnet, and it seems that the pommel nut is not iron, nor steel because the pommel nut does not affix very tightly to the pommel nut.
    4) There is a maybe a silver solder joint/ring on the pommel nut (*see picture). I am not sure if the pommel nut is completely brass because there is silver coloring to the base of the pommel nut.
    Could the pommel nut be aluminum with gilding on it?!?

I am not sure if this saber is 100% authentic, a very good reproduction, or a re-gripped saber. Your comments would be very much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by D. Wen; 03-21-2017 at 09:06 PM.

Please send me some more images, I can show them to a friend, who is expert in this topic.
    vocelkav@gmail.com