Thread: Help with hussar sabre ID

Lightbulb Help with hussar sabre ID

Hi guys,

I wonder if you can help me with identifying a hussar sabre? I think it's Austrian 18thC. Do you concur with that, and can you be more precise with what it is and from what time? The hilt and scabbard metal parts are all brass. The tang end on the pommel is covered by an almond shaped brass plaque. There's a hole in the grip for a string to tie around the wrist, which I have only seen on Austro-Hungarian cavalry swords. The blade is quite elastic (not stiff, rigid) and when I hold the grip and wiggle my hand horizontally, the tip of the blade flaps a bit. The blade gives a whiff of iron. The blade looks like its been polished/brandished a lot. It's got a shallow fuller on each side. On one side can be seen the remains of inscriptions of a star in between two suns and further out I think there's a faint large moon. The scabbard is made of wood with black leather and brass covering. The sword is overall approximately 87cm long. I intend to clean the brass as it looks rather dirty with green polishing residue.

Many thanks for your feedback!

Magnus
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Magnus K; 03-26-2017 at 03:43 PM.

More pictures

The brass top of the scabbard comes off as it's a bit loose. I took some more pictures to share with you in case you wondered what the wood in a hussar scabbard looks like when uncovered.

Additional pictures

The grip is made of wood, spirally bound with cord and covered with leather. One layer of cord shows through on the grip just above the hilt.

The blade is crudely etched on one side with a star in between two suns and what appears to be the remains of a moon with human face. There could have been more etchings but the blade is now fairly worn. It has a nice patina througout.

Det stämmer. Sabeln ser ut som österrikiska, 1700-talets mitt

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan B. View Post
    Det stämmer. Sabeln ser ut som österrikiska, 1700-talets mitt
    Ivan, tack för ditt svar och bekräftelse att den troligtvis är österrikisk.

Like he said....

He said it looks Austrian, mid 18thC.

Are you guys speaking Canadian or Australian or something?
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Viking language