Thread: 28" mounted katana by Mukansa smith Ogawa Kanekuni

28" mounted katana by Mukansa smith Ogawa Kanekuni

Signed shinsakuto made by the Mukansa smith Ogawa Kanekuni (real name Ogawa Kunihiko). He was based in Gifu prefecture before passing away recently and is succeeded by his son, who is now also a Mukansa smith. Mukansa smiths have reached the highest level of renown as swordsmiths - the title means "above competition".

The blade measures 28" (71.2cm, or 2.35 shaku) from habaki to kissaki with a nice even sori. Nice mountings including a rattan-wrapped saya, perfectly suited for iai, tameshigiri or just appreciation/display, with a lovely hamon with lots of activity and well-cut bo-hi. The signature reads "Noshu Muge Hachiman ju Kanekuni saku kore" (made by Kanekuni, residing in Hachiman, Muge region, Noshu). The sword is in good condition - saya still fits tightly, no scratching, nicks or damage that I can see.

Asking US$5000 and I'll throw in free international shipping and a nice sword bag made from an old kimono. Swords by this smith and his son tend to sell for much higher but this is being priced to move in a depressed market.

Full-size pictures can be viewed here: http://members.iinet.net.au/~rjgenga...i/gallery.html

Name:  tn_001.JPG
Views: 329
Size:  4.9 KB
    Name:  tn_DSC02319.JPG
Views: 330
Size:  5.9 KB
    Last edited by Rohan G; 04-02-2017 at 09:22 AM.

This sword is now SOLD. Thank you for your interest.
    Last edited by Rohan G; 04-12-2017 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Sword has sold