Thread: US 1840 Medical Staff Officer Sword

US 1840 Medical Staff Officer Sword

Gents,

I picked up a nice Model 1840 US Medical Staff Officer Sword at the Wichita Militaria Show over the weekend that I thought I would show. These are hard to find, especially with un-dented brass scabbards as the brass is prone to dents.

This sword was made by Weyersberg in Solingen for the American market and has his crowned king hallmark on the ricasso of the blade. The blade is the early heavy oval style with typical German etching of a US eagle on one side (with his feet toward the hilt in the German etching manner) and "U.S.M.S." on the other. The brass hilt is very well executed with much detail including the brazed silver letters "MS" on the obverse langet. The scabbard is un-dented and has highly detailed fittings that are brazed to the brass body. Considerable gilt remains on the sword.

These swords are rather scarce due to the small number of military surgeons in the Army prior to the Civil War. Also, many of the CW surgeons were contract surgeons as opposed to regular Army Staff Officers.

George
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

George: There was one of these locally, that was in much less condition, I passed on it. They were selling it as a Fraternal Sword, and they wanted way too much..

You did well, this one is worth it!!

Dale

Thanks Dale! Now I need a Pay Department example.

George
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

Tha hardest thing about sword collecting is that the "need" goes on and on.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe