Thread: Help identifying katana markings

Help identifying katana markings

Hi! I'm new to the forum, and acquired a katana to celebrate my wife successfully passing her 3rd degree black belt test in karate. Problem is, I don't know what I have. I tried to attach photos of have attached markings found on the tang and the tsuba, but was told the size exceeded what was allowed to be posted. Could someone help me? I don't even know what language (origin) it is! Thanks!!!
    LeGs

An existing digital photo can be downsized by using free programs found on the net. Or just to set your digital camera to a smaller format and retake the photos.

Thanks! I have re-sized and will attempt to post anew! Joining this forum has already been valuable to me!

help identifying origin of sword

Quote Originally Posted by LeGette McIntyre View Post
    Thanks! I have re-sized and will attempt to post anew! Joining this forum has already been valuable to me!
    Here are the newly shrunk markings I was hoping someone of the forum could ID them or translate them. Can anyone help?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

It would be useful to post photos of the whole sword. If, say, the sword is a modern Chinese fake antique katana, there's little point in translating an inscription on the tang, because they're usually either gibberish or dishonest.

I mention this because your sword shows two signs of "fake": the modern drilled hole in the tang, and flash in the kozuka hole on the tsuba.
    "In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.