Thread: German sword knot

German sword knot

afternoon all.... i purchased recently a prussian m1811 cav saber with a sword knot on it. my main question is about the sword knot. it is 18 1/2 long and the leather strap is about 15 3/4 in long with a silver knot on the end of it. i hoping you can help me out with this knot , i could find nothing about it in mr whellers book also what type of sword knots gets a silver knot at the end of it ? thanks for any help you can give me ......bill... also could that sword knot been used with that sword ? again thanks for your help

Post a pic or two of the knot and sword...

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by william fisher View Post
    afternoon all.... i purchased recently a prussian m1811 cav saber with a sword knot on it. my main question is about the sword knot. it is 18 1/2 long and the leather strap is about 15 3/4 in long with a silver knot on the end of it. i hoping you can help me out with this knot , i could find nothing about it in mr whellers book also what type of sword knots gets a silver knot at the end of it ? thanks for any help you can give me ......bill... also could that sword knot been used with that sword ? again thanks for your help
    As Dale said, a photo would be helpful. But, if the leather strap is black or green and has silver or aluminum stripes in it it should be a Sr. NCO or Officer knot. With a silver stem, crown, & ball it is either a NCO or Officer knot. With just a silver ball it is most probably a Sergeant's knot. Lots of variations to sort through.
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

thanks Geo for the info it is really a plain knot that came with the prussian sword so could the sword and the knot at one time been used together in service ? thanks for your help ..bill also one other thing how or what determines the silver knot that is used ? again thanks