Size:  53.3 KBName:  Foto 5 SWF.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  59.5 KBName:  Foto 8 SWF.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  96.2 KBName:  Foto 6 SWF.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  32.4 KB

The sword model 1892/95 with a blade of the Grenadier Guards # 101800

The blade, which has been mounted in this model 1892/95, belonged to officer R.G.A.H.
    Why an older blade was mounted onto the grip is unknown for now but most likely this is a family wapon. The blade of the Grenadier Guards is monogrammed and carries a family crest which might mean that the owner of the sword descended from nobility. It was not uncommon with nobilty that the blade went from father to son or cousin.

Since 1857 the Guards were permitted to engrave the names of the battlefields on the blade. On this blade there are 17 in total. Spanish succession war: Blenheim, Ramillies, Oudenarde and Malplaquet. Ostrian succession war: Dettingen. Napoleontic wars: Lincelles, Corunna, Barossa, Peninsula and Waterloo. Crimean wars: Alma, Inkerman and Sevastopol. Egypte 1882: Tel el Kebir and Egypte 1882. 1e Soedanwar: Suakin 1885. 2e Soedanwar: Khartoum. The latter happened in 1898 and is the youngest date on the blade.

On the blade there is also the mirror monogram of Edward VII who ruled from 1901 untill 1910. R.G.A.H. therefor must have been commissioned to 2nd Lieutenant after 1901.

From thereon The Guards have been active campains at Modder River and South Africa 1899-1902 as well as 11 entries in WW1.

The blade was made and delivered by Septimus John Pillin. Between 1881 and 1919 his company was located in the 31 Gerrardstreet in Soho, London.

Hon. Ralph Gerard Alexander Hamilton. Commissioned 13th July 1901

Interesting - wonder if any relationship to our Alexander Hamilton?

You can search the Army List here: http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php?titl...nual_Army_List Just go through the appropriate years and try to match the initials on your sword to an officer in the correct regiment. A few other thoughts. Your blade would be the same age as your hilt unless it is etched with VR for Queen Victoria. It was common for officers of this period to have their crest and /or initials etched on the sword blade, therefore not necessarily from the "nobility", although he could have been.
    Hopefully my brief reply makes sense.
    Cheers,
    Mike

I see James did the heavy lifting

Wow, that went fast
    I will check the Army List.
    Thank you very much.

Killed in action by a shell on Easter Monday March 31, 1918 at Castel near Amiens whilst commanding 106th Brigade R.F.A.
    defending the ridge where the German advance was finally stayed. Buried in Rouvrel Cemetery

P. S. I found this info from another forum. Not sure on the rules of posting here, I got carried away. There is an interesting thread on him if you do some basic searches online, including links to his photo and more.
    Last edited by james.elstob; 04-15-2017 at 09:18 AM.

Hello Mike,
    I went through a lot of the lists but without succes.
    Which year did you use?
    Thanks in advance.

Hi Pieter

From memory I think I found him in 1902 but he was gone from the Grenadier guards by 1903. Try searching in the index for him in subsequent years. He must have transferred.

Regards

Pieter,
    James is correct, he is in the 1902 list but has transferred by 1903. Hamilton went to the cavalry; the 3rd Hussars.

Quote Originally Posted by james.elstob View Post
    Hi Pieter

From memory I think I found him in 1902 but he was gone from the Grenadier guards by 1903. Try searching in the index for him in subsequent years. He must have transferred.

Regards
    The New Annual Army List has a index near the end that you can search in. The list is essentially organized by precedence, so cavalry, artillery, engineers, then foot regiments. If Hamilton changed regiments often it will be easier to find him in the index first.
    Last edited by MikeShowers; 04-16-2017 at 10:39 AM.