Thread: Fake US 1860?

Fake US 1860?

http://m.imgur.com/a/DM2jN

Here's an album of pictures. Bought it on Ebay recently after it had a pretty massive price markdown.

What do you guys think? It looks like it has some inspection marks on the pommel, notably J.H., and looks like what's left of the makers mark could have been an S & K, but I'm not sure.

Legit or fake? The grip I think could be a replacement, if it looks very wrong, the pommel to me looks ground down. (Like someone took a file to the peen, it actually looks really similar to a sword I've done that too, a Windlass 1840)

My take on this sword is it has been disassembled and the blade and scabbard plated, this explains the re gripping and difficulty seeing the blade markings.
    Photos can be deceiving, the blade and scabbard could be highly polished?

They could be, I assume that they have been subject to heavy polishing. Do the parts look to be original at least?

The hilt looks ok, to assess originality with the blade etc. one would have to be holding it. I can't tell if it's plated or not though my guess is it is.
    I see no reason why parts would be a mixture of authentic and repro in this case. Plating does decrease value a good degree though it makes a good display piece but not usually a collector piece.

When I receive it (hasn't shipped yet) I'll take pictures of the spine of the blade, and look it over and see if there are any markings other than "S" on the blade that haven't been worn down.

If it is plated, would you recommend de plating it?

I've heard from other collectors plating removal leaves a frosted look to the blades. Unless this sword is from a rare maker it's probably not worth doing.
    It really depends why you purchased this sword and what you expect it to be.