Thread: Please help with mark on 1853

Please help with mark on 1853

Dear Collectors,
    I would like to ask you about mark on my patt.1853 sword. It is AR and I have never seen this before. I know that some patt.1821 swords were sold to Portugal but had different marks (AE FA).
    Thank you for help.
    Best regards
    Filip
    Name:  IMG_4042.JPG
Views: 112
Size:  88.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_4043.JPG
Views: 112
Size:  88.0 KB

Hi Filip, sorry, but to my knowledge no one has come up with the answer to this mark, it has been discussed before but I can't find the old thread, I seem to remember on the few examples seen they've all been Mole made 53's. Hopefully someone will provide the answer eventually. Ben PS. Any regimental marks?

Hello Ben,
    thank you. What we can do.... Scabbard is 3rd hussars, but who know whether it belongs to sword. But is interesting that the blade is not stamped with ispection mark B near hilt. Have just big latin B on back of blade in the middle. Regards Filip
    Last edited by Filip Seidler; 04-18-2017 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bevan View Post
    Hi Filip, sorry, but to my knowledge no one has come up with the answer to this mark, it has been discussed before but I can't find the old thread, I seem to remember on the few examples seen they've all been Mole made 53's. Hopefully someone will provide the answer eventually. Ben PS. Any regimental marks?
    Here is one thread about a Mole stamped AR but an earlier pattern.

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...r-1811-Blucher

Well found James. Filip, the big B is most likely the point of balance mark.

Some 1853p swords have two "B's" on the blade spine. Both show a balance point, one for the bare blade, the other for the sword complete. The "B" also has a line or stroke through it.

Between 1796 and patt.1853 is more than 50 years...it is interesting that they used same marks for so long period. What Aresenal Royal or something like that in Spanish for example.