Thread: For Sale: UNIQUE Ming-style Twistcore Chinese Jian Sword

For Sale: UNIQUE Ming-style Twistcore Chinese Jian Sword

Up for sale, a unique, one-of-a-kind, custom forged Ming-style twistcore jian. I commissioned this blade in 2016 and had the process overseen by Chinese sword expert Scott Rodell.

According to Rodell, it is unique because there are no other fully Ming-style jian currently being sold in the US market. It is Ming-style because:

• The pommel has 5 lobes and has the hole for the tassel straight through the center,
    • The guard is shaped like a thin mustache and less like a lotus flower or lionhead,
    • Instead of a curved tip, the tip is "clipped" with two aggressive hard angles,
    • The jian interfaces with the scabbard via a tonkou (tongue) fitting,
    • The scabbard has significant brass banding as seen on general statues from Ming graves.

Due to the uniqueness of the jian and the significant time and effort put into the project, the asking price is high - $2,000 OBO. This price already represents a significant percentage off the commission price that I paid, but I will entertain reasonable best offers. I will accept PayPal. Sale is final.

Further details:

This jian is slightly over 2lbs. It feels weighty in the hand but is balanced just slightly towards the blade. If you are used to wushu weapons, it will be an adjustment. If you are used to authentic cutters, you should be happy with the feel.

The blade features a full tang and designed to be used for cutting. The blade itself was made with a softer twistcore into which harder steel was inserted to give the cutting edges.

The wood is all natural Rosewood. All other fittings are brass.

Disclosures:

This jian has not been used for test cutting other than that done by the smith himself during the build process. According to the smith, the blade sliced through tough sarsaparilla tree branches without effort. It is in the condition I received it in.

There are a few potential issues that you should be aware of upfront:

• The scabbard fits perfectly in one direction, but if you flip the blade over, it is very difficult to fully sheath the jian due to the way the scabbard and tonkou were shaped,
    • The twistcore center line is straight up the center, but the etching along the cutting edges waivers up the length due to being hand shaped more than you normally see in production blades,
    • The brass fittings have been pinned with small brass tacks.

These are all minor issues overall, and the jian is still beautiful and a potentially great test cutting weapon. I've elected to sell the jian because of my personal emotions about the build process, which I will not detail in this post. This is your chance to own a uniquely built jian with a twistcore at a reasonable price!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Price drop to $1,500 OBO. Let me know.

What are the dimensions? Length of blade, length of handle?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Crandall View Post
    What are the dimensions? Length of blade, length of handle?
    Hi,

Sorry about the delay; this site seems to load weirdly for me sometimes. I get the "This site has been hacked" warning a lot from my secure router and from Google results too - do you get that too?

I took exact measurements:

Total length - 38 5/8"
    Blade length - 30"
    Point of balance - about 4.5"

Can you tell be about the tang? The last Scott Rodel sword I bought has a rat-tail and the handle creaks and bends in a way that makes me think it won't hold together when I cut with it. I want something that will be solid when impacting my cutting material.

Can you tell be about the tang? The last Scott Rodel sword I bought has a rat-tail and the handle creaks and bends in a way that makes me think it won't hold together when I cut with it. I want something that will be solid when impacting my cutting material.
    To my knowledge, this should be a full tang, not a rat-tail, as that was what I requested during commission. Unfortunately, the blade is pinned and bonded to the handle and pommel, so I cannot dismantle to examine.

I previously had a Huanou from Scott Rodell's store, and that was definitely slightly looser than this one. This one seems to be more solid, but you can still get proper vibration down through the handle if you tap the tip.
    Last edited by Edward Hsieh; 06-11-2017 at 06:26 PM.

I am interested. How do you prefer payment to be made?

I am interested. How do you prefer payment to be made?
    Hi, it would be easiest via PayPal. Let me know if that works for you.

Sold

Sold